They don't make tires like they used to.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think that the new positive traction rear ends are no longer clutch supported, but controlled by the computer. As a wheel loses traction the computer adds brake to the side not needing traction to transfer traction to the side needing it.
I think I have that right?
The tow package also uses rear braking to help when trailer sway becomes an issue. Once again If I'm reading right, it uses the rear brakes to accomplish that.
Some of you Mechanics out there probably have much more intel than myself on this.
The FWD/AWD vehicles do use differential braking to do torque vectoring, but I think the trucks still use traditional clutch-type limited slip diffs. I think it's probably more the stability/trailer sway control (which does use differential braking) that's evening out the pad wear; on the 1st Gen Lincoln LS, it wasn't uncommon for the rear pads to wear out before the fronts because AdvanceTrac used differential braking on the rear brakes to control yaw and traction.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had to replace rear pads on 2016 Nissan Altima a around 50k, front did not need yet.
We took the 2014 Maxima in for brakes a few months ago, mechanic called and said the rear pads were almost gone, but the front pads probably had 40-50% left and could go another year or two. All were original brakes.

Sloth!

New to the site!
Reaction score
They have those tires in the above for riding mowers.
I seen some at Links Lawn service in Mustang.

Good tubes in a crappy tire will keep air in the tire good for wheel barrows.

My busted shovels, rakes and post hole diggers get a steel handle welded onto them.
I used do that as well. A buddy borrowed my post hole digger and cut through a buried romex and nearly killed himself. Found out thats why they dont use pipe for handles on shovels, picks, post hole diggers, etc.

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not at 56,000. I am at 46,000 with some Michelin 10 ply pulling around a 14,000lb + load all over the country. Still have legal tread on them, but they will be changed out before the next outing.
What is weird on these new vehicles (mine anyway) is that the tires have never been rotated in that distance and they show even wear front to rear.
Another thing different in the newer vehicles that I'm personally aware of (3 friends) is that the rear brakes wear out long before the front brake pads. Did it in my Trunra and has done it in the F-250 as well as a friends F-350.
In the past the norm was around 60% wear on the front brake pads with 40% on the rear.
The three of us have only had to replace the rear brake pads with the front doing well.
This is my suspicion, and everyone can call this BS as I don't know but just speculate is that we all have the towing package added.
I think that the new positive traction rear ends are no longer clutch supported, but controlled by the computer. As a wheel loses traction the computer adds brake to the side not needing traction to transfer traction to the side needing it.
I think I have that right?
The tow package also uses rear braking to help when trailer sway becomes an issue. Once again If I'm reading right, it uses the rear brakes to accomplish that.
Some of you Mechanics out there probably have much more intel than myself on this.
Sounds plausible to me.

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used do that as well. A buddy borrowed my post hole digger and cut through a buried romex and nearly killed himself. Found out thats why they dont use pipe for handles on shovels, picks, post hole diggers, etc.
Yeh and there are plenty of dummies out there that still use pipe handles instead of wood ones.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hate it when a belt seperates
Didn't quite make it home!!

Attachments

• 20AE3D19-8C01-457A-AA29-CA924EB71DAA.jpeg
    20AE3D19-8C01-457A-AA29-CA924EB71DAA.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 3FB98E89-7C64-453D-940A-1609FCF498A4.jpeg
    3FB98E89-7C64-453D-940A-1609FCF498A4.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 8C3CC217-7A3E-4E03-BF3E-F573B3B5AA8C.jpeg
    8C3CC217-7A3E-4E03-BF3E-F573B3B5AA8C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 8EF950D8-31B7-49FC-897F-536C1762969A.jpeg
    8EF950D8-31B7-49FC-897F-536C1762969A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Purging the gene pool
Back in the 1950's we flew into Memphis Tenn. ferrying Hydrogen bombs and while there I made friend's with the supply Sgt. I told him of my desire to buy a '37-'40 Ford. He was from South Carolina and was going home for a week and said while there he would look around. I set my limit at $500. This worked out good for me as I would be there for a month or two. Seen a couple of '46 fords but no interest in them. I had just put a F84F on its way and the Tug driver said the Supply Sgt was looking for me. He said he is parked outside the BOQ. When I rounded the corner of the building I spotted what looked like a new Ford sedan on the back of a trailer. Supply Sgt. came over and said there she is, you owe me $450. I couldn't get the money to him fast enough. A elderly woman in her 90's pasted away and his mother was going to a estate sale they were having. In the barn was a car covered in blankets and quilts he said about a foot deep. Seems the woman's son bought it new and then he immediately shipped out to Hawaii where he was killed in the attack on Pearl Harbor. Sarge took one look at it and bought it on the spot. He never told me exactly what he paid for it. I asked him why $450. and he said it had 450 miles on the speedometer. The color was Seafoam Mist Green and was brand new. I kind of think he Simonized it a ton. It was real shinny. and wouldn't hold water. He pumped up the tires loaded it up and brought it to its new home. The tires lasted about a week after being flat for around 14 years. I bought new wide whitewalls . I married my first wife when I had that car. Next the engine went so I put in a rebuilt '50 Ford flathead with Auburn Heads and three Stromberg carburetor's The new motor negated the distributor in front of the motor and was easier to work on. I was going to keep that car forever but its like guns. Always some thing better around the corner I ended up trading it for a New 1955 Chevy with Power Pack and two four barrel carbs and that led me to Professional Drag Racing. That's another story.

Latest posts

Top Bottom