2012 Vegetable Garden Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well my garden is coming up nice. Just sprouts as of now, but I'm very happy with the growth. This year I've added a Herb garden too! We should be good to go in about 70 days...

Mr.Bungle

Marksman
Reaction score
Wow powerman...wish I had those plans a few years back when I bought all of my earth boxes lol...no pics yet, but I have a nice supply of potatoes going (down to 20 plants though lost about 15 to the dang gophers urgggh) , tomatoes (all in earthboxes or converted 5 gal buckets similar to earth box style system) , radishes, strawberries, peppers, all of the herbs, and tons of blue lake bush beans (the kids and I love them and they grow so easy early on) , squash, cucumbers (hoping the heat doesn't fry them like last year) and I'm sure Ive missed some.heh
My tallest tomato plant snapped near the bottom thanks to a huge crow trying to land on it so I'm torn whether or not to replace it or keep it taped up and hope it heals ( I read somewhere that if its still attached somewhat you may save it by taping her up) anyone have any advice on that one?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mr.Bungle said:
( I read somewhere that if its still attached somewhat you may save it by taping her up) anyone have any advice on that one?

One of our best years for tomatoes was right after a hail storm that left nothing but stubs sticking up. We pretty much wrote the garden off, but in about 10 days, the stubs started sprouting.
They grew like crazy and put on loads of tomatoes. I suspect the loss of the tops caused the plant to put all of its energy into root growth for awhile, finally putting on the tops.

Copper01

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a slacker. Just now getting the veggi's into the ground.

I'm with ya. Other than radishes and onions, I don't usually plant my garden until the 2-3 week of April (don't like to deal with covering everything for frost, like yesterday morning). This year with the big CMP match and the Land Run last weekend I haven't gotten it done yet. I did get the garden turned over yesterday. If the weather doesn't rain me out I should have all the plants in by Sunday.

justanotherpatriot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a noob and I was hoping someone was as into gardening as I am. Just a quick plug for a different style of gardening (google 'back to eden garden') It will totally change how you garden. I have been working on some raised bed gardens the last two years. right now I have 2 4x18, 1 5x25 and 1 3x40 along a privacy fence. I have 10 or 12 heirloom tomatoes, some mortgage lifters and some others, cabbage, turnips, beets, radishes, peppers, eggplant, more cabbages, squash, zucchini, limas, dragonhead beans, black beans, sunflowers, garlic, red and white onions, lots of spinach, trying some blueberries and I started a 4x8 herb garden for my wife with cilantro, German thyme, basil, lemon balm, savory, sage, margoram, chives, parsley and 5 kinds of mint in separate pots. On your tomatoes producing, the two main things you HAVE to do is keep the suckers pulled off on a weekly basis and tomatoes REQUIRE 1" of water per week. If you have an evaporation rate of 1/4" of water per day that equals the equivalent of 2 3/4" of water per week. I got almost 100 lbs of tomatoes off of 6 tomatoe plants in raised beds last year. NO BS. A micro drip irrigation system is both cheap, easy and indispensible. My tomatoes stopped producing during the height of the heat but when it started being around 100 to 105ish I was getting lots of flowers but no fruit setting. I figured about how many sets I wanted to try to mature before frost and cut everything beyond that off. I had 56 tomatoes set the next week. Dont understand it and havent heard of it before but it worked. I got another harvest off of them before frost. One of the great benefits of the raised beds is that you have little to no weeding, tilling and if you use a mixture of 1/3 compost, vermeculite, and peat moss by volume with a weed barrier like 5-6 layers of newspaper under, it holds massive amounts of water, you cant overwater because it is raised, no weeds because the only thing that could have weeds is the compost and it will get hot enough to kill the seeds, and with the compost you have an incredible source of nutrients for whatever you are growing. By the way, I like the idea of the winter root veggies. Ill have to try it this year.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am trying my first hand at gardening since I moved back to Tulsa. I put in a small raised bed along my back fence. Small meaning container sized, roughly 2x8.

My tomatoes are doing pretty well.
My bell and jalapeno pepper plants look good too.
Strawberries are good so long as I can keep the doves out of them :censored:
The cucumbers are so-so. Not sure what's up but they just look wilted / like they need water. I doubt that is the case as I water regularly and the others look fine.

Next year, I think I will triple my amount of space. I eat a LOT of root vegetables, radishes and carrots and turnips. I definitely will try those next.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Blooms on the grape maters, but the plants are finally taking off. I do have small fruits on the hot yellow banana peppers. Put in squash and cucumbers last week....I repeat...I'm a slacker.

for those that haven't tried it, get some of the 18' long cattle panels that are made of 3/16' galvanized wire and make an arch with them. two T posts will hold them up, and put climbing plants like cucumbers and beans on them. Then you can pick the veggi's standing up while walking under the arch.

Latest posts

Top Bottom