2014 Rut info thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I completely agree with the article, but we can improve our individual deer herds by passing young bucks and letting them achieve their full genetic potential (whatever that may be).

For example, I'm not exactly a fan of bucks with 14" inside spreads which seems to be a genetic trait of many of the bucks on my place, and I have more than a couple on camera now that fit that mold. However, the buck I killed (and a 155" 8 pt I killed in '09) that giving those young bucks a chance can possibly reap huge rewards.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I completely agree with the article, but we can improve our individual deer herds by passing young bucks and letting them achieve their full genetic potential (whatever that may be).

For example, I'm not exactly a fan of bucks with 14" inside spreads which seems to be a genetic trait of many of the bucks on my place, and I have more than a couple on camera now that fit that mold. However, the buck I killed (and a 155" 8 pt I killed in '09) that giving those young bucks a chance can possibly reap huge rewards.

I agree with passing young deer 100%, my biggest problem is I can't control my neighbors, which I am sure is a problem everywhere, we had a young 9 point showing up pretty regular last year, looked like he had real potential, he got smoked by the neighbor to the east of me opening day of rifle. Had 2 real up and coming 10 points two years ago, neighbor to the north killed em both, I had passed both of them that year....1 on 3 different occasions. It just gets frustrating but I know that's just the way it is and I deal with it.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Makes me wonder if I see this deer, which looks like a young deer to me with lots of potential, do I pass him? Or take him? I just don't hunt big enough pieces of ground to expect that someone else isn't going to get a crack at him. Time and date stamp is wrong....I am sure I would let him walk.....but pretty sure my neighbors would not

Latest posts

Top Bottom