2014 Rut info thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I appreciate the discussion on this issue, I posted what I did just to get the discussion started, believe me when I say I pass pass pass on immature bucks.... Even those with pretty good barely sub 150 racks, I have fence hunters on two sides of me, I have 120 acres, he has 5 acres, I plant plots and try to manage and hold the deer, have 2 sanctuaries where no one is allowed to go. He puts up a box blind 1 ft from my fence on his 5 and shoots deer coming across his 5 to a 200 acre wheat field, nothing I can do about that.

ousoonerfan22

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That sucks but what can you do if he owns the five acres...he probably won't sell it?
We also pass on the young bucks but one of my son-in-laws is just starting to hunt this fall so I loaned him my muzzleloader and if he shoots a small buck then I will be happy for him.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
My son rattled up a couple of small bucks tonight. He wasn't being reall aggressive on the horns, just making noise. Both came in on alert. Sounds like it's about to kick off.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
We have mature bucks moving in the morning now. That cold snap changed their character for sure. I think they're realizing that winter is fast approaching. We still have bachelor groups, oddly enough. The occasional lone buck is coming through. The wife picked a decent guy last night that we've not seen on any of our cams so they're traveling.

Starting to see some serious neck sizes and does are getting more attention. rut should be right around the corner.

Latest posts

Top Bottom