2016 Elk hunt (pic heavy)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brian89

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My brother and I drew a pretty good archery only unit this past year. On the second day of the hunt I had the best hunt I have ever had..

I thought I was screwed after the first night of hunting, walking back to camp, somehow my GPS got hung on some brush down in a deep ravine and came out of my pocket. I spent 4 hours the morning of the second day looking for it. Not finding it, I went back to camp and tried to get my Iphone maps/gps to at least mark points and save gps coordinates. I finally got it to work and headed out.

I was headed for an area about 2 miles south of our camp that I went into on the first day. It was full of fresh elk sign, I knew I needed to be in there at some point during the trip knowing the elk would be back.. At about 1.5 miles at 3 pm I hear a bull bugle right were I was planning on going. He kept sounding off and letting me know where he was. I knew I needed to be right in the middle of them. I snuck in to about 100 yards and got where I wanted to be. I got set up and here come 3 cows right by me at 30 yards. Behind them I see a giant 6 point hot on their tail but on the other side of a small creek. He gets about 50 yards away behind some small pines and bugles right in my face. He looses interest in the cows that ran off and walks back in the direction he came from.

I am on the other side of the creek that separates us, he is sort of above me and I can barely see the top of his rack.
He walks towards me a bit, then goes from right to left at 60 yards. Then he made his mistake, he lays down facing awaym not 50 yards away from me on the other side of the creek. With the deep creek blocking his view , I nock an arrow. I sneak through the creek and up the hill towards him. I get pretty close and can still only see his rack. I range it at 35 yards. I draw back and walk up the hill to see him laying down sort of quartering away. I anchor, settle in burry the 30 yard pin on the back of his ribs and let it fly. He takes off and I hear him crash a short distance away..

60 yards later I walk up to this..
14358859_10157487865165076_1542043891296493839_n.jpg

The arrow exited perfectly killing him in seconds. It was 5 pm now, so I got to work on him caping, and breaking him down.. I hauled his backstraps out and met my brother at camp. We hiked back to him and got him completely out by 1 am that morning.. It was a hunt i will never forget, and i couldn't be more blessed with a bull like this for my first elk.

I green scored him at 310"
14358971_10157487862515076_1740958359167359209_n.jpg
14369982_10157487864765076_5875120264595713977_n.jpg

14591725_10157561995145076_289439465207313880_n.jpg

I got him mounted up before all the deer started rolling in..

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Danged nice bull Bryan! Impressive you got him mounted that quick. I know when I walked up to my first, the thought that came to mind is what a huge animal it is, and what a chore it was going to be to field dress it.
The gut pile weighs more than a white tail. lol.
Congrats on the hunt, and a fine mount.

justin_h635

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Nice elk and story. Makes me want to go back.

Cohiba, I have hunted several times and harvested an archery cow in the Taylor Mesa area. Great hunting.

Although I have hinted with him a friend of mine/biz colleague outfitted that area and lived in Cortez.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats nice bull. Great story. I'm not going west this year at all. My buddies are either back from about to leave from their hunts or about to leave for them. They're killing me With all the updates about how awesome the hunting has been this year lol. Congrats agin.

I lost my GPS one year as well. I now have a lanyard on it that's tethered through the hip belt pocket zipper on my pack. Put my rangefinder on one of those retractable Id badge holders that's ran through a buckle on my bino harness for the same reason.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

brian89

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Congrats nice bull. Great story. I'm not going west this year at all. My buddies are either back from about to leave from their hunts or about to leave for them. They're killing me With all the updates about how awesome the hunting has been this year lol. Congrats again.

I lost my GPS one year as well. I now have a lanyard on it that's tethered through the hip belt pocket zipper on my pack. Put my rangefinder on one of those retractable Id badge holders that's ran through a buckle on my bino harness for the same reason.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

Thanks, I had the long lanyard attached on the gps, but made the mistake of not tieing it off to my belt loop..

brian89

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Danged nice bull Bryan! Impressive you got him mounted that quick. I know when I walked up to my first, the thought that came to mind is what a huge animal it is, and what a chore it was going to be to field dress it.
The gut pile weighs more than a white tail. lol.
Congrats on the hunt, and a fine mount.
Thanks dennis!, I know you guys kill every year in NM, talking about gutting them, do you guys not do the gutless method on them? They're so dang big we never touch the guts, you can get the tenderloins from the top behind the last rib. We break them down take the quarters off then bone them out, makes for a lighter load Just curious.

Latest posts

Top Bottom