2016 Morels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Morels are awesome, unfortunately I dont have a place to go looking. I figure any public land will get hunted before I can get to it.

Same here. I love morels - rabbit & truffle risotto just isn't the same without them. I miss the truffles in OR...

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Every year i see this thread and every year i ask if anyone down here ever found any. I'll try again tho. But i suspect theres no spores here in the furthest sw corner

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never had much luck finding more than just 2 or 3.

I found this interesting...

Nancy Hill’s easiest, most accurate and most used sign is DANDELIONS! We have NEVER been proven wrong for the past two decades.

You may find some small grey morels, but you never find the mother lode without:

- Full yellow dandelions in yards. Yellow dandelions next to buildings (which are hot spots) do not qualify. After one yellow blossom in an open space the season will begin to arrive in 7 to 14 days!

- In fact, it takes white headed dandelions for an abundance of morels to appear.

Remember there are always exceptions to the rule but this is our big indicator. Mother Nature is not easily predictable. Other indicators that have been used with good justification is:

- Lilacs nearing blooming

- Cottonwood trees have greening of leaves

- Elm tree leaves are the size of your pinky finger

- Red bud trees in bloom

- Apple trees in blossom

- The 4th mowing of your lawn

- Dogwoods in bloom

- Turtles crossing the road

- Snakes out of hibernation

Latest posts

Top Bottom