2022 Deer Pics/Chatter/Excuses

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. This is the 4th deer that I have taken with the 10mm, the third buck. It will do the job for sure. The first two I used a Glock 40, last year a Glock 20 and then this year the RIA. All different barrel lengths, but the same ammo. I think the G40 put them down faster. Maybe the little extra oomph?
That's awesome. I'm hunting with a pistol this year. Hopefully I'll see something. Not much going on in daylight hours but lots on camera at night.

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's awesome. I'm hunting with a pistol this year. Hopefully I'll see something. Not much going on in daylight hours but lots on camera at night.
The rut is on here in SW OK. I’ve seen all sorts of deer out at all hours of the day from 5:30 am to 11:00 at night. Stay until you don’t think you’ll see anything and then stay a little longer. Good luck, handgun hunting is a blast.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I moved from the blind I'd been sitting in for the first two days of gun season to the blind I took the buck from in Muzzle Loader season.
At daylight, two does on the feeder for about an hour, but all of a sudden they started staring off to the SW. There is a row of trees so couldn't see what they were staring at.
Eventually saw a single deer coming our way across the pasture but still couldn't tell if it was buck or doe.
When he got to the trees, I could tell it was a buck that needed a ride to the "train station".
He never stopped on his northward walk like he was on a mission to go somewhere. The does settled back down to feed some more.
20 minutes later, the does bolted and he stepped out of the trees.
Ruger American that I won at a DU banquet spoke with him making 30 yards spewing enough blood a blind man could have followed the trail back into the trees. That 108 grain Lapua Scenar HPBT turned the lungs into jelly with a 1" exit hole.
It's actually a target bullet so it's story is going into the thread we have about using target bullets for hunting. It performed wonderfully.

1468C608-E3AE-4192-85DD-5510789B11FE.jpeg
72EA4726-AF19-44EA-ABF5-9EE6B2832621.jpeg
A9C2195D-3AD4-4020-8FE1-D9486208EA51.jpeg

One of @mike Millers knives from this forum going to work unzipping this buck.

7626B919-0050-411B-9089-E5F3B3CB6D44.jpeg

Checked in at a DMAP. Field dressed weight was exactly 200 lbs. Big guy.

Last edited:

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I moved from the blind I'd been sitting in for the first two days of gun season to the blind I took the buck from in Muzzle Loader season.
At daylight, two does on the feeder for about an hour, but all of a sudden they started staring off to the SW. There is a row of trees so couldn't see what they were staring at.
Eventually saw a single deer coming our way across the pasture but still couldn't tell if it was buck or doe.
When he got to the trees, I could tell it was a buck that needed a ride to the "train station".
He never stopped on his northward walk like he was on a mission to go somewhere. The does settled back down to feed some more.
20 minutes later, the does bolted and he stepped out of the trees.
Ruger American that I won at a DU banquet spoke with him making 30 yards spewing enough blood a blind man could have followed the trail back into the trees. That 108 grain Lapua Scenar HPBT turned the lungs into jelly with a 1" exit hole.
It's actually a target bullet so it's story is going into the thread we have about using target bullets for hunting. It performed wonderfully.

View attachment 321649View attachment 321650View attachment 321651

One of Mike Millers knives from this forum going to work unzipping this buck.

View attachment 321662

Checked in at a DMAP. Field dressed weight was exactly 200 lbs. Big guy.
Nice buck. Congrats!

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I‘ve made a decision to target what I consider a buck with inferior rack genetics (I don’t like the term cull buck that gets thrown around a lot), and ironically, I could’ve killed him on October 1st at 25 yards and gave him a pass. I haven’t seen him again from any stand, but I’m still getting pictures of him regularly. I’m pretty sure he’s a buck that showed up last year during the first week of rifle season, and I videoed him and passed him then too.
I’ve had a bunch of pictures of him, but here’s one of the better ones from Friday. He’s a big old boy.
Edit to add. I’m a trophy hunter, so if a really big buck I’ve never seen before happens to stumble in front of me, the buck pictured will get another pass. :anyone:
View attachment 321394
Gosh dang, big ol pot belly and thick looking legs, gotta be pretty old.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I may be 100% full of crap, but I'm hearing from a lot of hunters that they are seeing dink bucks chasing and nothing big in daytime.
It's my opinion only that the doe to buck ratio is not good so the big dominate bucks have singled out the does to breed and went nocturnal. My cell cams pretty much confirm that as there is nothing but dink bucks in the daytime with the bigger bucks coming in now after dark with a doe that previously came in during daylight.
Again, just my opinion.
Exactly what I'm seeing out West! Watched 2 knot heads chase a doe for about an hour this morning.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wasn't planning to go out today because I figured work would get in the way. Thankfully that wasn't the case. Meetings ended before noon so I hit the road. Hit the woods at about 1 pm and sat by a tree to watch a right of way for the rest of the day.

This buck was on camera here yesterday and the day before. So I thought I'd take the chance he'd stop by today. And sure enough he came walking up the trail I was hoping he would at about 2 pm.

The suppressed Stag 10 chambered in 308 did the trick. Blood trail wasn't that great at first but then it was like the faucet opened up to the point a blind man could've followed it. He ran about 100 yards and piled up.

8C5600A2-CC22-4F61-A1D5-D6E3D028D246.jpeg

7C573264-50CA-414F-A0A6-9C36CEFE4909.jpeg

He was a fighter. Ear and nose torn up. Brow tines were either broken or almost worn slick. He had several broken spots on both sides. Definitely had a lot of character.

A73E3D75-71FE-4DE7-A14A-7C039B058301.jpeg

Entrance and exit wounds.

971A8605-82B0-40E7-966C-95E32A0E1964.jpeg

4A0B90C6-7942-438A-8F0A-927B5B8242BB.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom