2wd or 4wd?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I absolutely love these threads when the asphalt street warriors compare what to drive on the snow plowed streets.

Bring your bicycle tired AWD and 2WD cars to the farm, and we will see how they fare against a 4WD in foot deep red mud slop.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I absolutely love these threads when the asphalt street warriors compare what to drive on the snow plowed streets.

Bring your bicycle tired AWD and 2WD cars to the farm, and we will see how they fare against a 4WD in foot deep red mud slop.

No kidding! We fed cows with a gama goat for years, until it was plum wore out. Wished we could find another good one. But on pavement with ice/snow packed, my little Honda Accord with snow chains will run with the best of them 4x4's.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

That's the truth. I've been over confident a few times. I hate mud. Love the forum iH8mud though.

The best vehicle I've had as far as going anywhere was a 94 FJ80 landcruiser. Front and rear electronic lockers, solid axles and mud terrain tires. If it got more than 12 mpg I would still have it.

Fwd cars with chains can be pretty sweet even up north with real snow. My tacoma with two open differentials will go where I need to though. Not into taking chances with getting stuck anymore.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would not even attempt the redd goo in a twd I'd find another way or get out & walk I know what I can & can't do, snow is one thing red clay is another, helped a few friends out of that when the went too far, i wont do it in my truck a 4wd is a must in such things

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My tacoma will probably go another 300k miles but I'll in the market for an additional vehicle within a couple years. Its down to these two.

Wrangler Rubicon
Subaru WRX

Both will do fine on snow plowed roads.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No kidding! We fed cows with a gama goat for years, until it was plum wore out. Wished we could find another good one. But on pavement with ice/snow packed, my little Honda Accord with snow chains will run with the best of them 4x4's.

45th Infantry Division Museum has one of the Gama Goats, although I doubt that they would sell it.

Unfortunately, even 4WD can't compare to 6WD.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tell you what, the new GM trucks (Sierra or Silverado) do really well even in 2wd in this stuff, 4wd just makes my truck a tank. I find myself just putting it in Auto now in the transfer case. It loads the front diff 10% and the moment the ECM sees slippage it engages the transfer case fully. Helps keep the fuel mileage up instead of driving with the transfer case locked in.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since my daily driver is a company owned Dodge Quad Cab 1500 4x2 I don't have any say in me getting a 4x4. However, after getting my wife an Expedition 4x2 years ago I swore I would only get her a 4WD SUV for her next one. Two years ago I got her a 4wd Explorer Limited. It saved our butts last Christmas while driving to OK on Dec 21 when that massive ice storm blew through Amarillo and all of OK. We had about 200 miles of ice to navigate. Oh, yea, we were also stuck, parked on I-40 for 9 hours in 10* weather. Stuck in a sense, cars were backed up for miles east and west bound in the middle of the night.being from CA it was the first time I have ever seen 1" think ice built up on the Interstate.

Latest posts

Top Bottom