2wd or 4wd?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That seems a bit foolish just because you owe nothing on it.

They are nearly 20 years old, and both have over 200,000 miles on them. My insurance company advised me to drop full coverage based on that, but to carry liability and uninsured motorist. But I am foolish, I readily agree.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since my daily driver is a company owned Dodge Quad Cab 1500 4x2 I don't have any say in me getting a 4x4. However, after getting my wife an Expedition 4x2 years ago I swore I would only get her a 4WD SUV for her next one. Two years ago I got her a 4wd Explorer Limited. It saved our butts last Christmas while driving to OK on Dec 21 when that massive ice storm blew through Amarillo and all of OK. We had about 200 miles of ice to navigate. Oh, yea, we were also stuck, parked on I-40 for 9 hours in 10* weather. Stuck in a sense, cars were backed up for miles east and west bound in the middle of the night.being from CA it was the first time I have ever seen 1" think ice built up on the Interstate.
I remember that.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr.Glock

No kidding! We fed cows with a gama goat for years, until it was plum wore out. Wished we could find another good one. But on pavement with ice/snow packed, my little Honda Accord with snow chains will run with the best of them 4x4's.

That's a great joke!

Next Ice Storm, bring on your 4x4. From a dead stop on ice/slicker than snot road, I will pull away faster than your 4x4 with my little Honda and snow chains and I will stop faster than you can as well. I have owned several 4x4's and still have a old beater 4x4 on the farm. Don't let a little light weight front wheel drive car with chains embarass you! LOL!

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Make that 12 inches of snow with 2 foot drifts and the Honda won't go anyplace. I never had a problem driving a Dodge Caravan under any conditions until we had the big snow storm a couple years ago. The Caravan has better ground clearance than the Honda and we couldn't get out of our drive. 2 WD just can't go when you are pushing snow with the front bumper. I ended up having a friend come over with his 4x4 pickup to make a path that I was then able to negotiate with the van.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Make that 12 inches of snow with 2 foot drifts and the Honda won't go anyplace. I never had a problem driving a Dodge Caravan under any conditions until we had the big snow storm a couple years ago. The Caravan has better ground clearance than the Honda and we couldn't get out of our drive. 2 WD just can't go when you are pushing snow with the front bumper. I ended up having a friend come over with his 4x4 pickup to make a path that I was then able to negotiate with the van.

Yep, you are right. I agree, I have all ready agreed to the off road no way. I am talking paved road, slick ice/snow. I have proved it before years ago to some fellow Fire Fighters at the station. I put my old Toyota Tercel up against a Bronco with big tires and all, on ice. I smoked him. I then proved to them how much faster I could stop than him on ice. We ate the Bronco owners Ice Cream for a month of shifts, he lost the bet.

ShurShot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 2 wheel drive short bed Silverado. If you don't put chains on that thing you aren't getting past the first stop sign unless it is downhill. Assuming I can even get it out of the driveway.

I have a 4 wheel drive Avalanche, it's great in the snow and ice. Nice and heavy!

Had a Dodge Caravan a while back and that thing was awesome in the snow. But if it's icy and you get stuck in a line at a uphill stop sign or something, you're screwed.

Last edited:

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Speaking of ice... Reminds me of a time over 20 years ago, was following my soon to be wife home after bowling one night right after an ice storm hit. She turned off 412 onto the side road just a little too fast for her 2wd Ford Ranger and just kept spinning around in circles till she was off in a field. I picked her up and we just left the Ranger where it sat. I was driving a company supplied Bronco at the time. Next day I had her take me to the Ranger, I drove it out of the field and managed to get it home. Needless to say the Ranger sat till the roads were in better shape. A 2wd pickup on ice is not fun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom