3 Gun @ OKCGC Saturday

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oklahoma City Gun Club will be hosting its monthly 3 gun match at the North end of the Action Pistol range on Saturday July 28th.

Sign in starts at 7:30. Shooting to start at 8:00.

Cost is $15 for OKC Gun Club Members
Cost is $20 for non members

We will be shooting 4 possibly 5 stages.
We'll have a 300 yd long range stage and a jungle run.

Bring 75 pistol, 75 rifle, and 50 shotshells. Plan on at least 10 slugs and at least 15 buckshot for this one, too.

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is this goofy-assed rule of 'holstered handguns will remain unloaded until they are in hand ' still in effect?

Ek

Pistols stay unloaded until you are told to load and make ready by SO. That happens just before you shoot. After the stage you clear your pistol and reholster. You don't have to draw, load then fire during a stage, unless that stage has some strange rules, but I've never seen that.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unloaded start can be specified by the stage designer, but we'll be cocked and locked on everything tomorrow (per usual). Like TWSS said, it is a COLD range until given the make ready command by the RO.

Stages are set.

english kanigit

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unloaded start can be specified by the stage designer, but we'll be cocked and locked on everything tomorrow (per usual). Like TWSS said, it is a COLD range until given the make ready command by the RO.

Stages are set.

Understand on all, this is exactly what I would expect.

Some months back, the first and only time I shot a three gun match at Arcadia, whoever was running the match decided that any firearm not actually in a person's hand could not have a round chamber. For long guns grounded, in barrels and things of that nature I can understand perfectly but this decree was also extended to pistols in holsters that were to be used in a given stage regardless of what stage instructions said.

I wasn't attempting to knock your range safety rules.

Ek

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No offense taken at all.

Generally speaking we start guns hot. There are exceptions (a shooter going prone with a holstered pistol, for example). I shoot LOTS of major matches all over the nation and we do it like everybody else.

Also, I am not the MD!! Just trying to provide info here.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ek,
sometimes theyre hot and sometimes theyre not.

Id like to touch on a couple things, but I want to emphasize that Im not trying to be defensive, or play like "its my ball, get your own!":) I think this might get a little more 3g info out there, so my words are directed to the readers of this. So while your question is the reason Im replying, the reply is not in its entirety directed to your question.

Youll almost always start with a hot gun if its in your hand or holster and its the first gun you use, unless we want to emphasize starting from a "cruiser ready" condition with a long gun, or just give guys an emphasis on how important loading up an empty gun is.

Nobody with any decision making powers put down any decrees or blanket statements regarding weapon conditions.
We have been known to modify things on the fly to better match the awareness level, shall we say, of some of the new competitors. Its one of those "lowest common denominator" type things. Might not be 100% big boy rules, but I dont need a summons showing up at my house because some goofbag tried to catch an airborne hot gun before it hits the ground! :D
You wouldnt do it, and i wouldnt do it, but crazy things happen when folks have three guns to worry about. Cranial vapor lock is not uncommon!

Generally speaking if a chambered handgun has a good chance to drop out of your holster during movement and the movement isnt in a safe direction, then it might be "mag inserted but not chambered". If we make ya rack a pistol or rifle, it might slow you down, but if you do something slow faster than the others, then your score will reflect it. -cause this is just a game. We incorporate overt and subliminal skill tests into the stages, to allow shooters to judge their scores with other shooters. We also know our group of shooters; and if we see a skill that everyone sucks at one month, We just might hit em hard with it again. The COF's that we set up here are in line with what you might expect at a bigger national match. I really think that our area, and our club is an incubator of sorts, a minor league venue that might one day give us another 3gun nation Pro like Jesse Tischauser, or semi pro like Kurt- wait, hes not doing that one either...

I am not speaking for the other guy(s) involved in running the match, but I think I have a good idea of how they feel, and I think that our "mission statement" for putting on the match is really not centered at all on shooting a gun how you might be shooting when youre usually shooting; whether its while training , or on duty, or on the street, or when youre woken up at night and reach for the bedside table. We like to have COF's where you look back smile at all the fast and furious 3yd hosing you did, or you remember how much better you did on the longer shots than your bud who never practices! Or man I hauled ass with that rifle so fast, I didnt know I could move safely that fast. Safety and Fun are the number one and two products we sell.

We'll never just hope that the shooters are going to have a safety incident, we'll try to prevent incidents.
Might not be 100% big boy rules, but I dont need a summons showing up at my house because some goofbag tried to catch an airborne hot gun before it hits the ground! :D

later gents,
Mike Cyrwus
(figured Id better sign it, since its the most Ive written since grad school)

BTW, Still havent seen your stapler; still look at every one I see.

Latest posts

Top Bottom