308 win with small rifle primers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been using Lapua 308 Palma brass for the last year. Comparing LRP and SRP loads ( I loaded 50 rounds each for a test) I found the SRP loads were around 20 FPS slower than the LRP loads. I did a some research on the cold weather problem and found that the problems appear to be with light powder loads. Using 43.4 gr of Varget and 175 gr SMK bullets I haven't had any problems in cold weather (down to 20F).
What primers have you been using in those cases?
Large and small ones please. Thanks.

ejg

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I've been using the Palma cases for about 8 months now with as good results as the LRP cases in my AR10 Bartlein. I'm using 168 and 175 SMK bullets and did have to adjust the loads a little from the LRP results, but they are as good (the 168s are bordering on better so far).

However, I had read about potential hang fires when using ball powders and did experience them in 40 degree weather using TAC. I haven't had any ignition issues with IMR 4895 or 4064.

The .308 SRP Palma cases are one of the several that Lapua decided to pause their production some time ago and are getting scarce (and more expensive). But Alpha and Peterson have picked them up and there seems to be consistent availability with them. Brunos has a deal going on right now (if they haven't sold out already). As with all things Internet related, there are lovers and haters of both. I haven't tried either ... yet.

I took a chance months ago on a Unis Ginex SRP bulk sale to try in my 6mm ARC and since there are no affordable LRP options out there, this drove me to try the Palma cases. Glad I did.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Found a bunch of spp 10mm in the brass I picked up jacked a couple primers before I realized it now have to watch them like the 45acp
10MM? Man, I hate those small primer .45's and now 10MM.
I volume loaded the .45 for years. A small primer pocket would ruin a primer as I just polished and loaded. Never took the time to inspect the primer pockets for size.
When I find one now in range pickup brass, it goes into the scrap bucket.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
10MM? Man, I hate those small primer .45's and now 10MM.
I volume loaded the .45 for years. A small primer pocket would ruin a primer as I just polished and loaded. Never took the time to inspect the primer pockets for size.
When I find one now in range pickup brass, it goes into the scrap bucket.
You may end up regretting that.

SPP is available, and I think in the long run LPP will be less and less available.

Think about it. The only cartridges that use LPP are the big, old American cartridges. 44 Spl & Mag, 45 ACP, 10mm being an exception to that.

The vast majority of handgun cartridges worldwide are SPP. I think over the years there will be a trend towards standardization.
I believe LPP will be phased out eventually.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You may end up regretting that.

SPP is available, and I think in the long run LPP will be less and less available.

Think about it. The only cartridges that use LPP are the big, old American cartridges. 44 Spl & Mag, 45 ACP, 10mm being an exception to that.

The vast majority of handgun cartridges worldwide are SPP. I think over the years there will be a trend towards standardization.
I believe LPP will be phased out eventually.
I have enough primers in stock that I'll be pushing daisy's long before running out of them.
Stacked em deep when they were cheap.

Latest posts

Top Bottom