.458 socom vs .300 blackout

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
:twocents:

Beowulf FTW!!!

i294.photobucket.com_albums_mm83_Scott_SVT_AR_15W.jpg

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=12&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CGEQFjAL&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.midwayusa.com%2Fproduct%2F122325%2Falexander-arms-reloading-brass-50-beowulf-box-of-100&ei=eJdrVK79HomUNvLxgqAG&usg=AFQjCNG-NNEIZnS36m0sdk8Px4g59nJxfQ&sig2=C1qgCnLabn0iy1mEksfoBA&bvm=bv.79908130,d.eXY

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
thanks but Beowulf brass is essentially the same $$ as 458 socom .. but that's based on what little digging I did.
if anyone knows of a cheaper way to come up with 458 socom brass, please do let me know

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
.458 SOCOM brass has never been cheap, since the beginning. I wish I would have bought a lot more when it was available. I've got so many .458 bullets from shooting 4570 and 458 Lott, it was a no brainer for me when deciding between the SOCOM and Beuwulf.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When 458S brass was $48/100 on sale several years ago, I stocked up. I use a mesh brass catcher for range Fire. It's enough to last me for a while. Even 100 cases will last a long time.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So again:

If someone CAN afford to have that type of set up, ammo is NOT the hangup!

For guys that CANNOT afford to have a rig like that, ammo IS a hangup!

Ok, let me try another way of trying to get my point across; I can afford that kind of setup. Yes, with the high end optics, silencer, and all the other bells and whistles.

But when ammo is $3 a round? Screw that. I'd rather spend my money on a very nice 1943 Springfield Model 1903A4 sniper rifle - which costs more than a lot of tricked-out AR rigs - and plink away for 55 cents a round.

Point being, SOME people, who can afford the .458 SOCOM rig, opt instead to blow that kind of money on another firearm simply because they'd rather get more bang for the buck, no pun intended. SOME people have no issue throwing $3 down range every time they pull the trigger, and kudos to them. But SOME people who CAN afford that kind of setup see more sense in going another direction and getting more for the dollars they sink into the hobby. It's not about whether or not you can afford the rig and ammo, it's about deciding where your money will go further.

I hope that makes more sense. Bottom line, not everyone who can afford it wants to go that route. It's like the multimillionaire who drives a Geo Metro instead of that Ferrari. Why? Because he sees more sense in the cheaper mode of transportation, is all.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, let me try another way of trying to get my point across; I can afford that kind of setup. Yes, with the high end optics, silencer, and all the other bells and whistles.

But when ammo is $3 a round? Screw that. I'd rather spend my money on a very nice 1943 Springfield Model 1903A4 sniper rifle - which costs more than a lot of tricked-out AR rigs - and plink away for 55 cents a round.

Point being, SOME people, who can afford the .458 SOCOM rig, opt instead to blow that kind of money on another firearm simply because they'd rather get more bang for the buck, no pun intended. SOME people have no issue throwing $3 down range every time they pull the trigger, and kudos to them. But SOME people who CAN afford that kind of setup see more sense in going another direction and getting more for the dollars they sink into the hobby. It's not about whether or not you can afford the rig and ammo, it's about deciding where your money will go further.

I hope that makes more sense. Bottom line, not everyone who can afford it wants to go that route. It's like the multimillionaire who drives a Geo Metro instead of that Ferrari. Why? Because he sees more sense in the cheaper mode of transportation, is all.

Holy Cow, you and CY are taking this WAY to personally. I never said that you guys couldn't afford anything.

Very simple:

1) DJJ post a pics of a bada$$ rig - complete with suppressor and presumably high end optic. Possibly a $3000 setup in an exotic caliber.

2) CY quotes it and asks "How do you handle brass costs?"

3) I answer for the doc "With guys that can afford a rig like that, ammo ain't an issue"

4) You and CY get all wound up and tell me that I'm wrong

5) DJJ then confirms exactly what I wrote:

I was thinking that but didn't know how to say it without sounding snobbish.

6) You still don't get it and tell me you could afford it but didn't do it due to ammo costs (WHICH IS MY POINT!)

7) I can't keep explaining it to you that guys that "Take the plunge" and build out a rig like that "AIN'T WORRIED ABOUT THE AMMO"

This is the most exhausting circle-jerk, please make it stop!

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Holy Cow, you and CY are taking this WAY to personally. I never said that you guys couldn't afford anything.

Very simple:

1) DJJ post a pics of a bada$$ rig - complete with suppressor and presumably high end optic. Possibly a $3000 setup in an exotic caliber.

2) CY quotes it and asks "How do you handle brass costs?"

3) I answer for the doc "With guys that can afford a rig like that, ammo ain't an issue"

4) You and CY get all wound up and tell me that I'm wrong

5) DJJ then confirms exactly what I wrote:

6) You still don't get it and tell me you could afford it but didn't do it due to ammo costs (WHICH IS MY POINT!)

7) I can't keep explaining it to you that guys that "Take the plunge" and build out a rig like that "AIN'T WORRIED ABOUT THE AMMO"

This is the most exhausting circle-jerk, please make it stop!

You realize you are in the middle? ;)

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You realize you are in the middle? ;)

Actually, there are only 2 sides and I'm on the same side as DocterJJ because I am one of "those guys".

It's really no different than:

People that can afford the high end (House, Car, Boat etc.) ain't worried about the (Utilities, insurance, maintenance etc.)

For some reason a couple guys on here just took offense to that.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, there are only 2 sides and I'm on the same side as DocterJJ because I am one of "those guys".

It's really no different than:

People that can afford the high end (House, Car, Boat etc.) ain't worried about the (Utilities, insurance, maintenance etc.)

For some reason a couple guys on here just took offense to that.

I agree with your side of the discussion. Don't play if you can't afford to play. My customers driving 80k SUV's don't complain about gas mileage, they can afford gas.

Latest posts

Top Bottom