870 modifications

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bangbangbang

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 28" Remington 870 Wingmaster. I'd like to turn it into something less Field & Stream and more home defense. I'm thinking an 18" barrel and a collapsible stock should do the trick.

Do you have any suggestions on places to shop for parts online?

Teufelshunde

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
riflestock.com has a lot of shotgun accessories. Its actually Choate Machine and tools website. you may have heard of some of their stuff. Im debating on wether to do the same with one of my wingmasters as well. We could probably sell one wingmaster and get two regular 870's, field & stream and Home defense.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
just did the same thing... if your wingmaster only shoots 2 3/4 shells... 00 12gau shells in 2 3/4 are harder to find

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As more and more of these older guns get chopped into shortened home defense guns I see the price of unchopped/Unmodified hunting guns going up considerably in the next 5 to 10 years.

Remember when chopping off your barrel that 18 inches does not mean the full lenght of the barrel, it means the length from the end of the largest shell that will fit into the barrel.

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Couple of thoughts:
1) Yeah, and 18" barrel will point much better for you indoors:idea:
2) Primary method for clearing a jam/lock-up is holding the slide and slamming the butt on the floor. Collapsable stocks aren't so great for that. Choate offers youth stocks that have an 11-12" LOP, or side or top-folders. Top folders index better for me, and I cut, and had mine re-welded, at 11".

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good point on the stock, Rob72.

It looks like I'm going go with:
Hogue synthetic stock & forend
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=126882

Mossberg 18.5" barrel
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=958340

I have one of those mossberg barrels and the only thing I don't line us the fact that it's blued and not parkerized like the receiver. I just sent off an 18" barrel off a brand new 870 express to get threaded for rem chokes so I can install one of thise bada$$ looking breacher chokes from carlsons. Il post pictures when I get it finished.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom