A Man Ought

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
my grandpa used to say: "Any man that can't shoe his own horse or shoot his own dog ought not have either"

translation for those not raised by an osage county cowman: be man enough to do what needs to be done no matter how unpleasant.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To be willing to work to provide for himself and his family.

To be willing to fight, even though he might lose, if the need arises.

To be respectful of women (if the woman will allow it).

Love his country.

Stand up for what he believes in.

Be loyal to his friends and family (unless they betray him).

Stand up for the underdog (if the underdog is right).

What say you OSA?

With respect to the above bolded line, I say to be respectful even if they don't want to allow it. I've held the doors for ladies that told me my actions were unneeded. To which I replied, "My mother taught me manners and when the afterlive comes, I don't want to incur her wrath."

If nothing else, I do it to honor my mother.

briarcreekguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't find anything wrong with what you said J.B.

I've always liked this one:

" A Human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. " Robert A. Heinlein.

elance

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
on shoeing a horse rough side out (or flat side in)and you'll be good . i have rasped many a horse as a helper and could probably get the job done now . but i wouldn't want have to buy my dinner on what i know . lol

1979-1980 man that was for ever ago .
elance

Latest posts

Top Bottom