A threat from a coworker....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, a general very thinly-veiled threat was sent out by a coworker this weekend to a number of people.

Now, I'm shopping... I carry the Taurus .45 most everywhere ('cept at work, dangit!), but the wife needs something she can keep at home. Personal defense just got a lot more serious in my household.

:angry3:

Damnit, I can't sleep now....

Wife wants an automatic, she is strong but petite. Thinking something along the lines of a small-to-medium 9mm should be fine. .40 would be acceptable, too. Open to suggestions, I haven't really looked into this stuff.

Concealed carry isn't really a factor, as she is not eligible to apply for a license until we get her citizenship (she's a permanent resident for the last 10 years). Probably sometime next year.

<edit> Just realized I should post a price range.... I am thinking something in the $300 range. Really I'd love to get a home defense shotgun/zombie gun and a small reliable semi-auto for her all under $500. I've been wanting to buy a shotgun for a while now, and haven't been able to come up with it. Now I have the backing to make it happen.

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get the shotgun first. A long gun is much easier to hit a target with under stress than a handgun. Also, the shotgun is pretty much a game ender for the bad guy. I would look at the Remington 870 and the Mossberg 500 to start out with. Both are good quality and an excellent value. I like the Mossy better myself due to the ergos, but many will argue the opposite. Take the misses to the gun shop and handle both to make sure you get the best one for her. Good luck brother. I hope nothing ever becomes of the threat.

AGI

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You don't have to be a citizen to get a ccw. Permanent resident is fine...that's what I am btw. As for a shotty and handgun on a budget I would suggest a maverick 88 12 gauge and a good used 38special revolver.

ooops nevermind on the ccw part :)

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You don't have to be a citizen to get a ccw. Permanent resident is fine...that's what I am btw. As for a shotty and handgun on a budget I would suggest a maverick 88 12 gauge and a good used 38special revolver.

The maverick 88 is a good cheaper way to go if you don't have the money to throw down on the mossy 500.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reddog1 was selling some Kel-Tec P9s for $260 & just about any shotgun in 12 or 20 ga should do the trick. An auto loading shotgun will have less recoil than a pump.

redneck1861

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMO for someone that is not real familiar with how to use guns, the best home defense will be a shotgun, laike posted before the Mossberg 500 or the Maverick 88 are both good ones, the Maverick at Academy is $199 load it with some 00 buck and you will be good to go

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Agree with the shotgun advice. Just for GPs, have you (and the others) notified the police yet?

Not only this, but you and everyone else involved need to document this with your employer. This has obviously created a hostile work environment where you and others feel threatened to even show up to work.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I want to say the shotgun, but some people don't take too kindly to that kind of recoil. Best bet would be to have her shoot some different kinds of guns. If you were closer, I've got a 19" 870, a S&W model 38 and an XD 9 you guys would be more than welcome to try out.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
an 870 and a J frame DAO would be the best combo
but if limited to one... I'd pick the J frame like a S&W 642

642's double action only are ideal for beginners. quickly gives total confidence pistol will not fire unless you want it to fire.

mini auto pistols can be hard to cock by someone with weak hands.
then reliability of feed with expensive self defensive ammo needs to be proven.

S&W 642 can be found on OSA classifies for $325-350 range
$418 shipped from Buds Gun Shop new.

Ruger LCR can be found for $398 shipped at Buds...

for what little $ difference... S&W 642 is the ticket!

Latest posts

Top Bottom