Additives for Diesel Fuel?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've owned numerous gasoline engines over the years but now have my first diesel engine truck. Anybody use additives to prevent gelling of the fuel during the winter? What about a Cetane booster?

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last 4 trucks I've owned were diesel and buying another tomorrow. I've never had the need for additives here. However, if you are going to be in areas of extended cold temps and high moisture, it would be advisable.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just bought my first diesel last month. Welcome to the club!
Thanks. I've got an F250 and love the power - I can't hardly tell when I have my 5th wheel RV hooked up. I had the F250 with 6.2L gas before; it pulled the RV fine but I could tell the engine was really working, and it went through the gears frequently going up and down hills.

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. I've got an F250 and love the power - I can't hardly tell when I have my 5th wheel RV hooked up. I had the F250 with 6.2L gas before; it pulled the RV fine but I could tell the engine was really working, and it went through the gears frequently going up and down hills.

Nice! Just bought our first 5th wheel and that required an upgrade from my Tundra. We picked up the camper in Arkansas and on the way home I was passing cars going up hills with ease. Today I bought a gooseneck hitch.

Dieselwrench

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last 4 trucks I've owned were diesel and buying another tomorrow. I've never had the need for additives here. However, if you are going to be in areas of extended cold temps and high moisture, it would be advisable.
You are spot on sir. It doesn't get cold enough long enough around here to worry about gelling fuel. My pov and work truck sit outside all year and have never gelled. My pov sat outside all winter the year we had below freezing temps for a week (I think that was six years ago?) with no problems, and I don't drive that truck but once or twice every two weeks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Uncle Meat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Walmart 2-stroke oil is all I've ever used, mainly to add needed lubricity to the fuel.
Actually it's pretty good stuff.
Older trucks were designed for better fuel that what is offered today.
Pumps and injectors need the lost lubricity to live longer lives.

I use it in my Ford 7.3 and Dodge 5.9 24v. Yeah, they're older trucks.
Never had a gel problem.
Algae would be more of a concern for me.

Dieselwrench

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Walmart 2-stroke oil is all I've ever used, mainly to add needed lubricity to the fuel.
Actually it's pretty good stuff.
Older trucks were designed for better fuel that what is offered today.
Pumps and injectors need the lost lubricity to live longer lives.

I use it in my Ford 7.3 and Dodge 5.9 24v. Yeah, they're older trucks.
Never had a gel problem.
Algae would be more of a concern for me.
You could use biocide to kill the algae. Just don't get ANY on your person. That stuff will really mess your insides up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom