Additives for Diesel Fuel?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dieselwrench

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
That honestly looks like oil and water mixed. You're going to get condensation in your fuel tank no matter what. Adding even small amounts of oil will cause the two to stick together and then clog a filter. Of course that's just my two cents again and that's all it's worth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That honestly looks like oil and water mixed. You're going to get condensation in your fuel tank no matter what. Adding even small amounts of oil will cause the two to stick together and then clog a filter. Of course that's just my two cents again and that's all it's worth.

Dude, with an avatar of Dieselwrench (assuming it is meaningful) your two cents is welcome in this thread.

Uncle Meat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had diesel tractors for close to 20 years & never used an additive. Never had a problem with them. I bought a 03 Cummins 5.9 about 18 months ago, 1st diesel pickup and loving it. I run the same as others have mentioned, 1oz per gallon of 2 stroke oil and stanadyne performance in every tank. I was driving home after work one day just bee bopping along & the truck died. I pulled over to the side of the road and sat about 10 seconds and it fired right up. Drove the rest of the way home, abt 3 miles, and started checking things out. This is the fuel filter canister. After about 3 treatments of Killem & changing filters it's cleared out and doing fine.
Looks like the same slime I found in my John Deere's tank.
Never had a problem until this summer and I've owned this tractor for 20 years.
Now I always take a good look at the fuel filter when I replace it.
Killem is what I've started using.

Dieselwrench

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dude, with an avatar of Dieselwrench (assuming it is meaningful) your two cents is welcome in this thread.
It is meaningful. I've been at my current job for 12 years working on industrial diesel engines. Mostly oilfield equipment, some generators, cranes, etc... I don't presume to know it all our know more than anyone else. I also don't want anyone thinking that I'm telling them they are wrong to do whatever it is they are doing with they're own engines. If your way works for you then keep on keeping on. If you run into issues then I might be able to steer you in a direction that helps shove a problem. So don't take my word as gospel, it's just my thoughts.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Last time I saw a fuel filter like that one pictured was after a guy had a mishap with some used vege oil that didn't get filtered/spun properly.

Dieselwrench

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
No sir. I don't see a need for it. I've never had a truck not get up to operating temperature. Even when we had that week long stretch below freezing a few years ago.

Latest posts

Top Bottom