Advice on choosing between AR15 and PTR .308

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antigonus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Title pretty much says it all. This weapon will be serve two primary functions - the first being a home defense weapon (I have no kids so I don't need to worry as much about bullet penetration) but the second of course being a range weapon. I don't shoot overly much but now that I have a little more time to do so, I'd like to see what you guys think about the pros and cons of these two fine weapons. Thanks in advance!

-A

MDT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i've had both and liked them both very much. the PTR was very accurate and pretty cool from a big battle rifle stand point. i sold it and kept my AR because it was a much lighter weapon, and in my mind, easier to work on, more after market accessories, and plentiful ammo (7.62 is plentiful as well). my AR is a Stag, i really like it as well. i really don't think you'd go wrong w either one. good luck w your decision.

Antigonus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks! That's kind of the general opinion I've heard from people I know about the two. Both are battle-tested, solid platforms. I think what may tip me toward the PTR is that I already reload .308 for my Rem 700, and one less caliber to factor in is always a good thing.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Caliber variety is a learning experience to me. I understand your logic, I just would take a different approach.

I would recommend the AR-15 because I think in the roles you wish to employ it, it better suits your needs. HD distances .223/5.56 to .308 is irrelevant however the AR is more "handy" so I give it the edge there. At the range .223 will be cheaper and have less recoil, again it wins. Easy decision based on the info you have given thus far.

Dr_Mitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You're much more likely to pick up 5.56 range brass, get in on group buys for 5.56, and get better individual pricing on 5.56 versus .308. Which will only affect you if you shoot much. Which determines your efficacy with the weapon. I'd get an AR10 or a FAL instead of the HK-type in .308.

txnavalaviator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would vote for the AR. Ammo is cheaper and if you really get into it you can get a .22 kit so you can shoot to your hearts content. Parts and accessories are plentiful at any price range. It seems as everyone knows how to work on them and have the tools to do it. They are so modular if you buy and accessory and don't like it just sell it here and try another. AR's are like a really a useful adult erector set. But be warned as soon as you start tinkering with them its a disease. You will want an AR for every kind of shooting you can think of... well except skeet shooting... come to think of it they make a .410 upper that you could shoot skeet with. You get the picture the sky is the limit but even the most basic are fun and cheap to shoot.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ar 22 conversion about $200
hk/ptr 22 conversion $500
ar unit uses existing barrel and is a bolt/chamber unit and mag. cmmg seems to be the most popular ar conversion kit
the hk unit is barrel liner assy, bolt, 2 mags, misc. in a fitted case. military surplus at www.whatacountry.com

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd get an AR10 or a FAL instead of the HK-type in .308.

For what you are doing, I’m guessing the AR would be cheaper to buy, cheaper to shoot, and would probably do whatever you needed it to do.
I like both the FAL and HK91 types myself. If you decide on a PTR, do a LOT of research on what you’re buying; from my understanding, the earliest JLD models had some problems, then they ironed that out. Then JLD sold out to PTR and started using non-HK spec barrels, and the rifles wouldn’t feed mil-surp ammo – especially anything tar sealed. Look online for serial number ranges of rifles that used those barrels. Then they came out with the “GI” model which uses the HK spec fluting and barrel profile that will eat anything, but those have been recently having trunion cracking problems.
Best bet would be to look for either one of the Springfield Armory imports (SAR-3 or SAR-8), or one of the PARS International imports (G3S or XG3S). Those were both HK-licensed rifles built in the Greek (EBO) and Portuguese (FMP) military factories, respectively. They are second only to the actual German HKs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom