Advice on pricing used truck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agb104983

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm having some issues pricing out a truck I'm putting on the market soon. There are many resources, such as NADA or Kelley blue book, that give vehicle values. However, this is a work truck so the bodywork has a bunch of scratches/dents in it and the interior seats are well used and stained. I sold my personal vehicles before but they all are in typical condition for their age with no noticeable body damage or interior damage.

I don't know how much the visible wear and tear takes off the value of the vehicle, considering that I'm guessing most people in the market for this truck would be using it for a work/farm truck anyway. Any advice would be appreciated. I tried looking at other vehicles like it for sale locally but the prices are all over the board. It seems like sometimes the selling prices for used trucks exceed the blue book values and sometimes they don't.

Also, how do you price in things like a ranchhand front bumper or line-x bedliner?

It's a 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD, extended cab, long bed, 4x4.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I have found edmunds.com to be a good source for realistic pricing with options based on the condition of the vehicle.

Example...

ccb1632e5fb85b8c335956b52e47d274.jpg

Last edited:

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If the 2500HD is diesel and well maintained, the 4x4 works, engine runs strong, all doors and tailgate open and close, AC works and tires are decent and the truck is road worthy then I would not hesitate to pay $5000.00-$5500.00 for a farm truck with 162,000 miles if it can tow a trailer up and down the highway to sales and such.

My opinion is only mine, I see them all over the place price wise as well. Agree with ya that many times a work/farm truck is higher than KBB value. Many times that is due to the aftermarket hay beds, tool boxes and the such.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kelly Blue book isn't very accurate and insurance company's or banks don't don't go buy it. NADA is going to be the one to use. Outwords and inside condition plays a big differance in value.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I usually go and do an edmunds.com used car value and then go check what comparable trucks are being offered for on Craigslist in your ara. That along with all the other valuations will usually give you a pretty good idea where to start. I just sold a 2002 Honda Civic doing exactly this, it was priced $200 high of course, so I could drop the price $200 for the eventual buyer.......

Latest posts

Top Bottom