An idea in regards to places that post signs....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Had this thought after talking to a restaurant manager who said they didn't have signs yet, but would be getting some shortly. What if we offered the ones posting "No Firearms" signs a compromise? What if we donated signs them that said "No openly carried firearms"? Not all would agree to it, but hey if some did then I think it would be better for all involved. I plan to keep carrying concealed mainly and ignoring the signs like usual, but this might be a good common sense step for some. Thoughts?

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had this thought after talking to a restaurant manager who said they didn't have signs yet, but would be getting some shortly. What if we offered the ones posting "No Firearms" signs a compromise? What if we donated signs them that said "No openly carried firearms"? Not all would agree to it, but hey if some did then I think it would be better for all involved. I plan to keep carrying concealed mainly and ignoring the signs like usual, but this might be a good common sense step for some. Thoughts?

I'm not spending my money to buy them any form of anti 2A sign.

In fact, I'd rather they spend their money on signs and make their position known so that I can easily choose which businesses to support or not support.

jmoney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to agree, I needed to go inside a gas station this morning and saw that it was newly posted. Turned around went back to the car and chose a different one down the road.

vicious

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been on OSA for a while now, and I continue to be astounded by the lack of conviction of the people here. There is way too much, "it doesn't affect me so it doesn't matter", going on. Complacency isn't what got the OC rules passed, and it won't keep our rights. The sheer conjecture leading to "pro 2a" business putting up sings barring open carry so they can keep their customers happy to ideas behind having to carry an exposed permit around when carrying openly, to this.

Guys, if you don't believe in open carry, that's fine, but to propose things like this because it won't affect you is far from the right path to liberty. If you're going to concealed carry, do so, but at least support those of us who would choose to follow the same law as you while open carrying. You should be just as angered over the new signs as you were over the old ones. Nothing has changed beyond the exposure of the pistol.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A little more just to explain my position too...

Businesses (especially corporate) typically only know one language and that is profits. If their anti 2A stance causes them to be boycotted by enough people and they are aware of that, then they will (grudgingly) change their policy. Unless (or until) for either liability or customer reasons, posting a sign gains them more profit, they will bend back our way every single time eventually. We've seen it time and time again...

The only other factor are those businesses which are also driven by their ideals. These are the hard nuts to crack and while they also are still driven by profit, I don't believe that you will ever change their opinion if they are steadfast in their stance. They might eventually cave to the profit side, but they will likely NEVER be swayed by a compromise or logic.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I have a LOT more respect for any person or business that is totally against the 2nd Amendment and says so, than someone who supports the 2nd Amendment only to a certain extent that makes them, and those around them comfortable.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been on OSA for a while now, and I continue to be astounded by the lack of conviction of the people here. There is way too much, "it doesn't affect me so it doesn't matter", going on. Complacency isn't what got the OC rules passed, and it won't keep our rights. The sheer conjecture leading to "pro 2a" business putting up sings barring open carry so they can keep their customers happy to ideas behind having to carry an exposed permit around when carrying openly, to this.

Guys, if you don't believe in open carry, that's fine, but to propose things like this because it won't affect you is far from the right path to liberty. If you're going to concealed carry, do so, but at least support those of us who would choose to follow the same law as you while open carrying. You should be just as angered over the new signs as you were over the old ones. Nothing has changed beyond the exposure of the pistol.

Personally, I'm not angry at all. I believe that a private business should do as it pleases, so I'm not a hypocrite in that sense. I won't be OC'ing in MOST plublic places because I think it acts as a false talisman. Granted I'm all for the right to do so, it just seems like many are taking themselves WAY too seriously here and everybody wants to beat their chest and cowboy up today.

vicious

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree, business should do as they please. I simply think that some of the suggestions coming from concealed carry supports who have disdain for open carry are ridiculous. I'm not angry, and frankly I doubt I'll stop shopping anywhere I shop today because they put up a sign. That's probably because I doubt any of the establishments I frequent will do that. I could be wrong, it's happened before.

I've said it before, and I'll reiterate it here. I've open carried before. In fact for the 8 years before I moved back to OK it was my main method of carry. I was active in the shooting community in VA, and I didn't meet anyone against open carry. Sure, there were plenty of people who chose to concealed carry, but I never saw the level of gun advocates who couldn't understand the desire to carry in the open. Of course, it was always legal to open carry there, so that may have had something to do with it.

I don't carry my pistol as a talisman, although I do know people who do (both open and concealed). Without training, the maturity to know when to use it and when not to, and the fortitude to do so should the need arise, it doesn't matter if you open or conceal carry.

There is a lot of seriousness today, and I thought this was a serious post. Me, I'm seriously happy I can open carry, and I seriously hope no one screws that up for me. That goes to both open carry advocates and dissidents. A harmless suggestion can be just as dangerous as someone who does something stupid while open carrying.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I simply think that some of the suggestions coming from concealed carry supports who have disdain for open carry are ridiculous.

These are just a variant of the Fudd Factor displayed among various shooting groups: O/U trap and skeet shooter vs. autos and pumps; classic walnut stock rifles vs. black utility rifles; revolvers vs. autos; .45 vs .357; etc.

I've said it before, and I'll reiterate it here. I've open carried before. In fact for the 8 years before I moved back to OK it was my main method of carry. I was active in the shooting community in VA, and I didn't meet anyone against open carry. Sure, there were plenty of people who chose to concealed carry, but I never saw the level of gun advocates who couldn't understand the desire to carry in the open. Of course, it was always legal to open carry there, so that may have had something to do with it.

Interesting perspective - I believe you have an excellent point on the "new" factor.

I don't carry my pistol as a talisman, although I do know people who do (both open and concealed). Without training, the maturity to know when to use it and when not to, and the fortitude to do so should the need arise, it doesn't matter if you open or conceal carry.

There is a lot of seriousness today, and I thought this was a serious post. Me, I'm seriously happy I can open carry, and I seriously hope no one screws that up for me. That goes to both open carry advocates and dissidents. A harmless suggestion can be just as dangerous as someone who does something stupid while open carrying.

Two thumbs up and a double ditto on the above ^^^^.

Latest posts

Top Bottom