Any HVAC Techs Here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What level of light transmission do you recommend to shade it?
The light waves are disturbed by anything impeding their transmission to the unit. They are carefully designed to receive a certain amount of sunlight. If you shade it, it could result in lower electric bills and paint that lasts longer.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure we've been down this same rabbit hole in the past with many of the same contributors... in the years since, with the entire collection of human intelligence, information, and science at our fingertips, the expert answer is still "Trust me, I know." lol

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure we've been down this same rabbit hole in the past with many of the same contributors... in the years since, with the entire collection of human intelligence, information, and science at our fingertips, the expert answer is still "Trust me, I know." lol
Still very fun though. It's like hanging out with older guys when I was a kid. They all knew something, but disagreed a lot. Later on in life it became the PE that stamped the plans that had the final say. But we still argued.

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It absolutely affects the velocity and angle and time the air is contact with the coil surface
turn your water hose on and then press a screen over the end and see if the flow doesn't change.
you seem to have no grasp of the subject. will it work with a screen around it? yes . will it work properly with no loss of efficiency......not a chance. the unit will be over worked and will under perform
Exactly, you made my point. Passes right thru the screen with the same velocity.

Zero negative affect other than my coils not getting plugged up.

Nothing is one size fits all. You’ll learn that eventually. Good luck to ya man.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Exactly, you made my point. Passes right thru the screen with the same velocity.

Zero negative affect other than my coils not getting plugged up.

Nothing is one size fits all. You’ll learn that eventually. Good luck to ya man.
I hope you're not an HVAC tech for a living ,if so you need to apologize to your customers and your boss. honestly you sound like one of those apartment maintenance goobers who almost know what they are talking about but not really

Last edited:

birdhunter1980

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Big difference in air filter screen and window screen. I wouldnt think window screen would restrict flow, where as the air filter material will. Most HVAC guys I know run the cheap return filters because the higher merv rated ones restrict the flow so much.
Been in the industry for over 20 years and if you keep the window screen clean it's not going to cause problems, what causes problems is when the condenser coil gets stopped up or sprayed from the outside and the debris is pushed into the coil. I could go on for days about it, some condenser coils are double row and must be separated to clean them properly. As far as cheap fiberglass filters, don't use them unless you want to be cleaning your evaporator coil and blower wheel etc etc. It your having airflow problems the cheap filters are a band aid fix. Each system has different requirements as far as airflow. Typically around 400cfm per ton average. I don't put anything around my unit and wash it out a few times a year.

Latest posts

Top Bottom