Any interest in attending a bug out weekend trip??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Would I be able to invite my dad? I think it is something he would enjoy as well. Neither of us having tried a lot of the primitive skills since I was in Boy Scouts, which has been 13-14 years ago.

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Family, kids, SO's, Dads, etc... You bet! I totally agree with a loose agenda. The A.O.O. (area of operations) is about 70 acres. With the numbers we re possibly looking at, I might try and move this little party to my pa-n-law's place about a mile west. It is 175 acres. Either place is well suited for what we are wanting to do. They are about 70/30 open prairie to wooded patches. As far as firearms, I really don't care what you bring so long as it is safe and in good repair. I'm a firearms instructor and a buddy of mine, jakerz, from OSA, is pretty well schooled it the art of putting lead downrange. I'm pretty sure we could cook up some things that would be beneficial to everyone as far as drills and defensive/offensive tactics goes. I will say that if your planning on bringing little ones, make sure they are prepared to be without an Xbox and Facebook for a couple days. I have two and understand the attention span, or lack thereof, can be an issue for parents. I want this to be several things:

1st. Safe
2nd. Fun
3rd. Informative
4th. To a point... Serious

We need to treat this as more than just a camping trip. I'm pretty sure most of you are in agreement and have posted some great ideas and requests. I know we are several months out, but now is the time to begin planning. As I've mentioned, I will have water available and plan on having a john deere gator handy is case we have a medical emergency or unforeseen contingency. I plan on having and keeping a main firepit going at all times with a grate for cooking. that doesn't mean you cannot build your own or bring your handy dandy bob stoves! As we get closer, we need to compile a generic list of bob items, too. I've got NASAR and FEMA lists, but I'd rather you guys chime it and we can all add to and tailor them as needed.

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
NASAR SARTECHTM II MINIMUM PERSONAL EQUIPMENT LIST
The following equipment is commonly compiled to form what is referred to as a "24-hour ready pack". Such a pack holds those items that will assist the holder in functioning safely, effectively, and efficiently during a SAR incident. Some items may be carried on a belt, in pockets, or strapped to the person. This is the minimum equipment is recommended to be carried on all missions in non-urban or wilderness areas. Your local equipment requirements may vary. Consult a physician for recommendations about analgesics and other drugs that you may carry in the SAR pack.
EVERY ITEM ON THIS LIST MUST BE PRESENT FOR THE CANDIDATE TO PASS THIS STATION OF THE SARTECHTM II SKILLS EXAMINATION. THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS.
Personal First Aid and Survival Kit
1 - Plastic bag, zip lock, qt. size, for kit 4 - Acetaminophen or aspirin tablets
4 - Antacid tablets
2 - Antiseptic cleansing pads
1 - Antiseptic ointment
6 - Band aids, various sizes 1 - Candle, long burning
2 - Cotton swabs, non sterile 1 - Duct tape, 5-10 ft.
1 - Leaf bag, large
(Non-urban) Personal SAR Equipment
1 - Pack, 1800 cubic inch (minimum) 4 - Bags, various sizes, zip locked
1 - Bandanna, handkerchief
1 - Cap or other headgear
2 - Carabiners, locking gate
1 - Clothes bag, waterproof
1 - Clothing, adequate for climate
1 - Clothing, extra set, suitable for climate 1 - Compass, orienteering
1 - Flagging tape, roll
1 - Flashlight or lantern
1 - Flashlight extra, extra batteries and bulb 1 - Footwear, sturdy, adequate for climate 1 - Gloves, durable, even in summer
1 - Goggles, or eye protection, clear
1 - Insect repellent
1 - Knife, multi-purpose
1 - Lip balm, with sunscreen
8 - Matches in a waterproof container 1 - Moleskin
2 - Quarters for phone call
1 - Razor blade, single edge safety type 1 - Roller gauze bandage
2 - Safety pins, large
1 - Splinter forceps, tweezers
1- Space type blanket or space type sleeping bag 1- Towelette, clean
1- Whistle
1 - Measuring device, 18 in. minimum 1 - Metal cup or pot
1 - Mirror, small
1 - Nylon twine or small rope, 50 feet 1 - Pad and pencil
2 - Prusik cords (6mm – 8mm; 6 ft. length)
1 - Rainwear, durable
1 - SAR personal identification
1 - Shelter Material, 8x10 plastic or coated nylon 1 - Scissors, multi-purpose
1 - Socks, extra pair
1 - Sunscreen lotion
1 - Tissue paper or baby wipes (recommended)
1 - Tracking stick, 42" long
1 - Watch
2 - Water containers, at least liter size
1 - Webbing, 1” tubular - length suitable for harness 1 - Wire, 5-10 ft., woven steel
8 - Wire ties, plastic, self locking
Optional Personal Support Equipment Recommended by Not Required
2 - Antihistamine, 25mg Benadryl 1 - Rain cover, pack
2 - Extra leaf bags
1 - Extra water container 1 - Foam pad
2 - Food, nonperishable 1 - Gaiters
1 - Sterno or stove
1 - Sun glasses, 97% UV protection 1 - Trail snacks
1 - Water purification tabs
Page 1 of 2
Formatted for electronic distribution 10/01/2004
Copyright, National Association for Search and Rescue. May be reproduced, but not sold.

murphy j

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are we still good with bringing kids? I may have my wife on board and she can't stand to be away from our 4yr old for more than a day.

BB... Shoot me a PM with a mailing address. I have some land navigation material I'll send you on loan. I couldn't find the mini handout I used to have, but did find a multi-page pamphlet that I will happily loan you till this get together.

Latest posts

Top Bottom