Any interest in attending a bug out weekend trip??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I asked my wife about going last night and she said go and have fun... I asked her about coming too and she said no. LoL!

Don't feel bad, mine could care less about anything remotely considered camping or prepping. She says that she is leaving all that to me and will just do what I tell her in a situation of necessity. Yeah, right! I believe that... At least she can shoot. She really doesn't like to do it, but is capable... And a pretty good aim, too.

Man, I wish I could get away with that ... GC just keeps on and keeps on and next thing I know I'm doing something I've always HATED ... and I find myself having fun ... :wink2:

:lookaroun WHAT!!??!?!?!?!?!

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are apparently two Silva companies the US Silva does make not make a quality compas. I recently watched a utube review and it was stated that another company took the Silva name in the US and they are not the same as the Silva company overseas. The guy siad that US Silva compasses can get air bubbles at altitude making them unusable. However, if you will not be on a mountain or at higher altitudes it will be ok. I am looking for one of the orginal GI compasses wich cost round $80.00.

The GI compasses are well built, but hard for a newcomer to use. They have a steeper learning curve due to the layout of the dial. That being said, if you are comfortable with them and can use one proficiently, by all means. They are made to last. Most folks aren't willing to spend the time in the field with one to gain the needed skill set.

Hmmmm ... This might be my second compass then. I really would like to become proficient at navigation. I'm terrified of getting lost out in the middle of nowhere ... Keeps me from hiking/camping out in some places that are really intriguing ...

Can I take a look at yours when you get it, OK Bowhunter?

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, guys ... GC is on notice that if he doesn't turn in leave slips I will be going to hang out with a BUNCH of handsome fellas who can go shooting with me anytime I like BY MYSELF!! If that doesn't work, I guess I'll just have to resort to my wiley woman ways to get him outta that patrol car! LOL

Sunshine7388

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This sounds like a great idea.

I've always been a "camper" but honestly I'm not sure I know how to really do alot of the tasks I'd need to know if a real "bug out/SHTF" situation were to be upon me.

murphy j

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The GI compasses are well built, but hard for a newcomer to use. They have a steeper learning curve due to the layout of the dial.

I respectfully disagree about the hard for a newcomer to use part. A GI compass has been the style of compass I have primarily used since 1990 and had absolutely no problems with learning how to use it. I've found map reading/terrain association to be a harder skill for individuals to acquire. BB, check out the Silva Ranger. When I was stationed at FT Campbell back in the 90s it was the primary favorite amongst our Pathfinders, with the GI style coming in second. The Silva Ranger is simple, reliable and more robust than it appears.

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The issue with the cammenga lensatic, the current mil compass, is the graduations are in both mils and degrees. That is two different systems of measurement. Great for the military that uses mils, but civilian use, including USGS Topo maps, are in degrees. It is difficult enough explaining Magnetic declination and getting someone to use it without adding another system of measurement to the equation. I agree that they are a great compass, just unnecessarily complicated for someone that isn't familiar with a compass. One thing that has become important to me when working with tools like this that aren't used everyday has been the KISS principle, the cammenga doesn't fulfill the Simple part of that, sorry. Besides, if I'm showing them how to use it, I want them to have a sighting baseplate like the Silva Trekker.

murphy j

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The issue with the cammenga lensatic, the current mil compass, is the graduations are in both mils and degrees. That is two different systems of measurement. Great for the military that uses mils, but civilian use, including USGS Topo maps, are in degrees. It is difficult enough explaining Magnetic declination and getting someone to use it without adding another system of measurement to the equation. I agree that they are a great compass, just unnecessarily complicated for someone that isn't familiar with a compass. One thing that has become important to me when working with tools like this that aren't used everyday has been the KISS principle, the cammenga doesn't fulfill the Simple part of that, sorry. Besides, if I'm showing them how to use it, I want them to have a sighting baseplate like the Silva Trekker.

I agree that teaching magnetic declination can be a pain in the ass. US Army uses degrees not mils for almost all applications. To my knowledge, Mils is only used by Artillery and mortar maggots. Using a compass is, IMHO, a simple skill to acquire if the person being taught is shown properly. Is it easy to make a mistake as a beginner? Sure it is, but simple is as simple does. It's only as difficult as you make it and in 14+ yrs of military service I've never failed a land nav course and neither has anyone I've taught. I have a feeling you and I are more on the same page than we suspect, but are looking at it differently. I've also made a cursory comparison between the Silva Ranger and the Silva Trekker. The Trekker model seems to be a basic, but solid version of the Ranger. The guy that turned me on to the Ranger model had used it for years without fail. The reliability, ease of use, robustness and longevity of that particular model sold me on it.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I respectfully disagree about the hard for a newcomer to use part. A GI compass has been the style of compass I have primarily used since 1990 and had absolutely no problems with learning how to use it. I've found map reading/terrain association to be a harder skill for individuals to acquire. BB, check out the Silva Ranger. When I was stationed at FT Campbell back in the 90s it was the primary favorite amongst our Pathfinders, with the GI style coming in second. The Silva Ranger is simple, reliable and more robust than it appears.

OK, I'll take a look ... Thanks!

I'll go ahead and get the one you recommended just because, well, you are the guy teaching me something ... Huh! A guy teaching me something ... Wonders never cease, huh??!?! :lookaroun WHAT?!?!!?!?!? 25 bucks is a drop in the bucket ... Besides if I decide to get a fancier one GC can have this one ... :lmfao: :lookaroun WHAT!?!?!?! He does it to me ALL the time! :wink2:

I agree that teaching magnetic declination can be a pain in the ass. US Army uses degrees not mils for almost all applications. To my knowledge, Mils is only used by Artillery and mortar maggots. Using a compass is, IMHO, a simple skill to acquire if the person being taught is shown properly. Is it easy to make a mistake as a beginner? Sure it is, but simple is as simple does. It's only as difficult as you make it and in 14+ yrs of military service I've never failed a land nav course and neither has anyone I've taught. I have a feeling you and I are more on the same page than we suspect, but are looking at it differently. I've also made a cursory comparison between the Silva Ranger and the Silva Trekker. The Trekker model seems to be a basic, but solid version of the Ranger. The guy that turned me on to the Ranger model had used it for years without fail. The reliability, ease of use, robustness and longevity of that particular model sold me on it.

I dunno what this mil and degree stuff is but just as soon as I finished this FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
HAM radio class, I'm gonna start doing some reading ...

OK, guys, I read both of your posts like 23 times, lol ... I think I'm gonna enjoy figuring this out. I have kinda of a stupid question. Is mil anything like MOA??

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Aww, BB, i had a sadly humorous thought of you trying to use a compass, getting lost, smashing compass, building a fire and GC having to track you down by following a cookie crumb trail.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Aww, BB, i had a sadly humorous thought of you trying to use a compass, getting lost, smashing compass, building a fire and GC having to track you down by following a cookie crumb trail.

ROFLMAO! That's not too far off from reality, sir! I can get lost walking down the hallway in my own house. It's a pitiful affliction, not being to figure where you are going or where you came from ... or how to get back ... :(:o

Latest posts

Top Bottom