Any interest in attending a bug out weekend trip??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BB, the difference between degrees and mils is more like the difference between inches and millimeters. They're both accurate units of measurement, but one has tighter tolerances than the other.

Hmmmm ... OK ... I think I need a book to read ... or some links ... Hook me up guys! Amazon Prime is my friend and GC is getting me a Kindle Fire for Christmas. I have until March and HAM Radio class will be over next week ... THANK GAWD!!!

BB, anyone ever tell you are a few degrees off bubble? If so, they were talking about magnetic declination...lol. Murphy,I suspect that you are correct about looking at two sides of the same target. The reason I recommend the trekker is simply the cost versus reliability. There are awesome compasses out there, but so is the price. Unfortunately, most who buy one will throw it in their bag and never use it. I Suspect more get lost than broken. If you come in March, we can compare, cuss and discuss...

LOL, all the time but I seriously doubt it was "magnetic declination" they were talking about! LOL

And for the record, MY COMPASS will NOT get thrown in a bag and lost. This is something I've actually always wanted to learn -- UNLIKE FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFOOOOOOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG HAM RADIO ... :(

Mills:
There are 2π × 1000 milliradians (≈ 6283.185 mrad) in a circle. So a trigonometric milliradian is just under 1⁄6283 of a circle. This “real” trigonometric unit of angular measurement of a circle is in use by telescopic sight manufacturers using (stadiametric) rangefinding in reticles. The divergence of laser beams is also usually measured in milliradians.
An approximation of the trigonometric milliradian (0.001 rad), known as the (angular) mil, is used by NATO and other military organizations in gunnery and targeting. Each angular mil represents 1⁄6400 of a circle and is 1-⅞% smaller than the trigonometric milliradian. For the small angles typically found in targeting work, the convenience of using the number 6400 in calculation outweighs the small mathematical errors it introduces. In the past, other gunnery systems have used different approximations to 1⁄2000π; for example Sweden used the 1⁄6300 streck and the USSR used 1⁄6000. Being based on the milliradian, the NATO mil subtends roughly 1 m at a range of 1000 m (at such small angles, the curvature is negligible).

Uhhhhh ... :lookaroun Can you "show" me?? LOL

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BB, the difference between degrees and mils is more like the difference between inches and millimeters. They're both accurate units of measurement, but one has tighter tolerances than the other.

Hmmmm ... OK ... I think I need a book to read ... or some links ... Hook me up guys! Amazon Prime is my friend and GC is getting me a Kindle Fire for Christmas. I have until March and HAM Radio class will be over next week ... THANK GAWD!!!

BB, anyone ever tell you are a few degrees off bubble? If so, they were talking about magnetic declination...lol. Murphy,I suspect that you are correct about looking at two sides of the same target. The reason I recommend the trekker is simply the cost versus reliability. There are awesome compasses out there, but so is the price. Unfortunately, most who buy one will throw it in their bag and never use it. I Suspect more get lost than broken. If you come in March, we can compare, cuss and discuss...

LOL, all the time but I seriously doubt it was "magnetic declination" they were talking about! LOL

And for the record, MY COMPASS will NOT get thrown in a bag and lost. This is something I've actually always wanted to learn -- UNLIKE
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFOOOOOOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG HAM RADIO ... :(

Mills:
There are 2π × 1000 milliradians (≈ 6283.185 mrad) in a circle. So a trigonometric milliradian is just under 1⁄6283 of a circle. This “real” trigonometric unit of angular measurement of a circle is in use by telescopic sight manufacturers using (stadiametric) rangefinding in reticles. The divergence of laser beams is also usually measured in milliradians.
An approximation of the trigonometric milliradian (0.001 rad), known as the (angular) mil, is used by NATO and other military organizations in gunnery and targeting. Each angular mil represents 1⁄6400 of a circle and is 1-⅞% smaller than the trigonometric milliradian. For the small angles typically found in targeting work, the convenience of using the number 6400 in calculation outweighs the small mathematical errors it introduces. In the past, other gunnery systems have used different approximations to 1⁄2000π; for example Sweden used the 1⁄6300 streck and the USSR used 1⁄6000. Being based on the milliradian, the NATO mil subtends roughly 1 m at a range of 1000 m (at such small angles, the curvature is negligible).

Uhhhhh ... :lookaroun Can you "show" me?? LOL

Seriously, I've got NOTHING to bring to the table here but my sunshiny personality (and maybe a flask or two of really, really good scotch) but I'm gonna be there with bells on ... I am sooo looking forward to getting out and hanging out with somebody besides my darlin' GC ... I mean he's a handsome, charming dude and all but I'm ready to get out of the house!! Some of you guys I've been penpals with here for a long time. It'd be great to put a face with a name!

murphy j

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BB, do a google search for lensatic compass instructions. You should get quite a few hits that can get you started. I'll be more than happy to help show you that weekend. It's really pretty simple, but can be daunting to a newcomer. Land navigation is also a perishable skill. If you don't practice it you tend to forget it. Somewhere I have a little handout I got from the Army that explains things pretty well. If I can find it, I'll be more than happy to make a copy and send it to you if you like.

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
BB, do a google search for lensatic compass instructions. You should get quite a few hits that can get you started. I'll be more than happy to help show you that weekend. It's really pretty simple, but can be daunting to a newcomer. Land navigation is also a perishable skill. If you don't practice it you tend to forget it. Somewhere I have a little handout I got from the Army that explains things pretty well. If I can find it, I'll be more than happy to make a copy and send it to you if you like.

You have no idea how excited she is about learning this. A lot more excited than she was about HAM radio. I'd tried to get her to do that a couple of times before and I think she just finally gave in to shut me up. lol THIS is something she's always wanted to learn though. Thank you guys for taking the time to talk to her and show her about it. It's been a while since she has felt decent and it's good to see her busy again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom