Any interest in attending a bug out weekend trip??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphy j

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BB, the difference between degrees and mils is more like the difference between inches and millimeters. They're both accurate units of measurement, but one has tighter tolerances than the other.

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BB, anyone ever tell you are a few degrees off bubble? If so, they were talking about magnetic declination...lol. Murphy,I suspect that you are correct about looking at two sides of the same target. The reason I recommend the trekker is simply the cost versus reliability. There are awesome compasses out there, but so is the price. Unfortunately, most who buy one will throw it in their bag and never use it. I Suspect more get lost than broken. If you come in March, we can compare, cuss and discuss...

murphy j

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The reason I recommend the trekker is simply the cost versus reliability. There are awesome compasses out there, but so is the price. Unfortunately, most who buy one will throw it in their bag and never use it. I Suspect more get lost than broken. If you come in March, we can compare, cuss and discuss...

I'm in agreement with this. I forget what these things can cost at times due to the fact that I've never really had to pay for them. I merely wanted to make the point that a military lensatic compass can be a solid piece of kit, unfortunately I didn't articulate that as clearly as I meant to. That tends to happen when I drink and post :drunk5: I'm gonna try to be there in March, but not sure what I can really contribute other than an extra set of hands and opinions, but one things for sure and that's the fact that I like to talk shop.

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey, bro. This isn't about everyone having to have a skill to demonstrate or teach. If you were in the Military then you have a lot of skills and probably have ideas about most everything related to living off of a minimally stocked bag or ruck. I'm excited that there are others willing to actually go out into the wild and see how their stuff works. Hopefully we can share some ideas and pass on stuff to those who haven't been fortunate enough the spend time in the woods or learn those skills in a formal setting. Im perfectly happy it no one has anything to offer and just wants to learn or try out their stuff, but I'd love it if some guys/gals show up and have something to offer that I'm not good at.

murphy j

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey, bro. This isn't about everyone having to have a skill to demonstrate or teach. If you were in the Military then you have a lot of skills and probably have ideas about most everything related to living off of a minimally stocked bag or ruck. I'm excited that there are others willing to actually go out into the wild and see how their stuff works. Hopefully we can share some ideas and pass on stuff to those who haven't been fortunate enough the spend time in the woods or learn those skills in a formal setting. Im perfectly happy it no one has anything to offer and just wants to learn or try out their stuff, but I'd love it if some guys/gals show up and have something to offer that I'm not good at.

Well, I do know how to live out of a ruck and I'm not shy about offering suggestions.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I got a lil msr stove i wanna try, wanna see BOBs, maybe pass on some first aid experience. Would also like to try/talk/cook a couple of very minimal recipes, with very basic ingredients.

And talk shop, opinions and ideas.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mills:
There are 2π × 1000 milliradians (≈ 6283.185 mrad) in a circle. So a trigonometric milliradian is just under 1⁄6283 of a circle. This “real” trigonometric unit of angular measurement of a circle is in use by telescopic sight manufacturers using (stadiametric) rangefinding in reticles. The divergence of laser beams is also usually measured in milliradians.
An approximation of the trigonometric milliradian (0.001 rad), known as the (angular) mil, is used by NATO and other military organizations in gunnery and targeting. Each angular mil represents 1⁄6400 of a circle and is 1-⅞% smaller than the trigonometric milliradian. For the small angles typically found in targeting work, the convenience of using the number 6400 in calculation outweighs the small mathematical errors it introduces. In the past, other gunnery systems have used different approximations to 1⁄2000π; for example Sweden used the 1⁄6300 streck and the USSR used 1⁄6000. Being based on the milliradian, the NATO mil subtends roughly 1 m at a range of 1000 m (at such small angles, the curvature is negligible).

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mills:
There are 2π × 1000 milliradians (≈ 6283.185 mrad) in a circle. So a trigonometric milliradian is just under 1⁄6283 of a circle. This “real” trigonometric unit of angular measurement of a circle is in use by telescopic sight manufacturers using (stadiametric) rangefinding in reticles. The divergence of laser beams is also usually measured in milliradians.
An approximation of the trigonometric milliradian (0.001 rad), known as the (angular) mil, is used by NATO and other military organizations in gunnery and targeting. Each angular mil represents 1⁄6400 of a circle and is 1-⅞% smaller than the trigonometric milliradian. For the small angles typically found in targeting work, the convenience of using the number 6400 in calculation outweighs the small mathematical errors it introduces. In the past, other gunnery systems have used different approximations to 1⁄2000π; for example Sweden used the 1⁄6300 streck and the USSR used 1⁄6000. Being based on the milliradian, the NATO mil subtends roughly 1 m at a range of 1000 m (at such small angles, the curvature is negligible).

Yeah, what he said!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom