Any machinists on here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBCollier

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
... Besides if you are doing really close tolerance work you will want to true your chuck jaws occasionally anyway and that does exactly what you are talking about.

This was my next thought as a way around having to "rebuild" the spindle. Could you make a set of soft jaws for the chuck and machine them to take up the runnout? Not the most ideal situation, but i don't know how much you want to spend. Sometimes the best "free" things cost us much more.

Model 70

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check with Crowl machine. They can redo that taper for you. Not sure what the cost would be these days. How are the ways on the bed? If there is significant wear (probably in the first 12" next to the chuck) then this will need to be addressed as well or curing the runout will only reveal another problem. The bed ways and saddle can be reground and brought back to spec with a build up of Turcite but that costs a lot.

"How much precision can you afford?"

JxxxOxxxE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For those that are following along...LoL...

I pulled the entire spindle out today...only took about an hour...

[Broken External Image]

I've found a place, http://www.centerline-inc.com/ that is located in Ponca City, Oklahoma. They've been in the spindle repair business for 20+ years, albeit mostly fixing things much more expensive than this.... I've talked to one of the owners a few times now and I am going to run it up to them next week and let them evaluate it, and possibly repair it...I hope it just needs to be reground...

The only thing that looks bad to me is 2 wear spots on the spindle...

This is at the center bearing where the preload is adjusted....

[Broken External Image]

This is at the headstock bearing....
[Broken External Image]

You cant feel anything in either spot, but it has obviously worn through the initial plating a little...

The actual bearing and races I installed last year still look good....

Latest posts

Top Bottom