Any of yall had Jury Duty? How long does it take?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was on jury duty for Tulsa County back about six years ago or so. It lasted a week. I reported every day during that week and was in the pool for one trial but not selected. My employer (DirecTV) made up the difference between what the county paid and my normal pay--all I had to do was submit the forms the clerk's office gave me. Parking was free--I think.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In Tulsa, 99.99% of trials are done in a week or less. That's only if you actually get selected.

If you don't get selected, you'll probably be sent home by Wednesday. I'm guessing OKC is pretty similar.

Now, that's for criminal cases. Civil cases are another matter. If you get selected for one of those, may God have Mercy upon your soul. Those guys think they get paid by the word and piece of paper.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been a registered voter all of my life and have never been called to jury duty.
Wife sat on a murder trial in Osage county a few years back. Her only time to be called.

Being called for Jury Duty is based on your address on file with Dept of Public Safety, not being registered to vote. That's what the Judge told us when he threatened to find everyone in contempt of court who showed up with an address on their license that did not match where they actually lived. You only have so many days after you move to get your license updated.

I have been called twice for Jury Duty in District Court, was selected and served both times. One was a two day trial, the other was one day.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My number came up once for Federal Jury Duty. Called the day before and was told not to come in. Truth be told. I was looking forward to it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Being called for Jury Duty is based on your address on file with Dept of Public Safety, not being registered to vote. That's what the Judge told us when he threatened to find everyone in contempt of court who showed up with an address on their license that did not match where they actually lived. You only have so many days after you move to get your license updated.

I have been called twice for Jury Duty in District Court, was selected and served both times. One was a two day trial, the other was one day.

Your correct under current jury regs. Back in the day it was from property tax rolls. Renters got a pass so they changed it to DL's.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Years ago I got called in OK County. Didn't get selected and was gone on Wednesday or Thursday. I did get called in for the trial of the asswad that shot and killed an OHP Trooper. Robert Macy was the DA so that tells you how long it's been. Defense kicked me. They didn't like it when I told Macy I'd throw the switch myself if he was able to prove it beyond any doubt. Okay I didn't really say that but I damn sure wanted too. During that time nobody got off except for one young girl who had her infant with her. She didn't have a baby sitter. Judge didn't give a rat's ass except for that one.

Me and the wife both got called in Cleveland County in the same week. She got seated, but not me. They decided to settle her case and we were let go during that week. She got out before me too. :grumble:

Okiedog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got called in Canadian county in early 70's. Was not seated. Got called in Payne county early 80's. Served on a civil case and on a DUI case. Both lasted a day. Company made up the difference in pay. Got to admit, I enjoyed it.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They can't fire you for jury duty unless they want you to own the company. You can request that you be excused, but you would have to show that you are of particular value that cannot be replaced. Sometimes you can just tell the judge you started a new job and bring some proof and will get excused.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Well I'm one of the people who doesn't live where his license is at. Kind of a jerk judge though. Also doesn't that violate your 5th amendment rights ?

Latest posts

Top Bottom