Any of yall had Jury Duty? How long does it take?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you think me being unemployed for a month and some change and just getting a new job late last month would be a good excuse to get out of it? I mean seriously they are only paying 10 bucks a day. Youd think theyd give you a percentage of what you make in a day. And I have to pay for parking.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're lucky the $10 will cover your parking. Or lunch. It won't be both.

I was called about 3 years ago. Jury selection took one day, then the trial (possession of meth and felony eluding) and sentencing took another.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never been called in OK for jury duty, but a close friend was this month.
200 people showed up to be checked in for the jury pool, and then they were all sent home, except for the ones that lined up to ask to be let out of jury duty for whatever non-statutory excuse they thought they had. There are statutory exemptions like LEO, lawyers, judges, over 70, etc.
Those that went home were told they were eligible to be on a jury anytime in the next year, and they would be notified when/if they were needed.
That's all I know about it.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
your new boss should understand. i don't 'think' you could be fired for jury duty, i bet you'd have a hell of a case if they tried though!
it might suck but do your civic duty. the courts don't care ,so make the best of it.

i'm kinda weird, in that ,i like to see how things work. i think i'm in the roledex up there. if you ever get a chance to do federal, it's SO much better. people come in every morning asking what you want to drink and if you want donuts,etc. all the chairs are padded and swivel. plus it pays better!

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been called twice and never got past selection. Took a day each time. Work had a charge number so you still got paid normal...but had to give them the $10 if you got it (you can also "donate" it when you sign in)

My dad got selected for some big rape murder trial, I think he was on for about a month.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There's absolutely no way to predict, if you are called, how long it will take. I was called around 18 months ago. Was called in twice for jury selection and, each time, it took one day for the selection process. I was not seated either time, so I was out two days. Employer policies differ on how they handle it (pay, coming back to work if not seated, etc.) but, like dlbleak said, your employer cannot deny you the 'opportunity' to make your obligatory appearance. If you are seated on a jury, it might take one day or ... the sky's the limit! Talk with your employer about it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been a registered voter all of my life and have never been called to jury duty.
Wife sat on a murder trial in Osage county a few years back. Her only time to be called.

Latest posts

Top Bottom