Anybody else ever been asked for vehicle registration during traffic stop?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis798

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been stopped a few times in other states and am almost always asked for my registration. I hand them my DL and insurance and tell them I could dig around for my registration but probably don't have it since Oklahoma doesn't require it. So far every cop has been fine with me not having it. I've asked several cops if we are supposed to carry it here, including county deputies and highway patrols, and they have all told me that your tag is your registration.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No registration paper is needed to be in vehicle in the state of Oklahoma. And you are bound by your state laws. Call your local Tag Office to verify.

Was pulled over in New Mexico once on our way to Alaska on our motorcycle pulling a small trailer with no tag, beings Oklahoma does not require it. State Trooper stopped us for no tag, I told him to call his Supervisor as in Oklahoma we are not required to have them on non commerical personal trailers, he called in, came back and told us to have a nice trip.

Now Oklahoma does have a non commercial tag available for $7 for personal trailers. And yes it does keep down the pull overs by out of state offices that don't know the law.

And back to vehicle registration, again it is not required in Oklahoma, but might be a good idea to toss it in the Glove Box for out of state, to stave of a headache, though it is not required. One of my buds owns/ runs a Tag Office, I have been schooled.LOL!

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont carry one , not something I want in my vehicle , if its stolen.

Along with ,Home address on GPS, guns, ID or credit cards (wallet)... ;)

The vin and name are on the insurance card , that should suffice.8/

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dont carry one , not something I want in my vehicle , if its stolen.

Along with ,Home address on GPS, guns, ID or credit cards (wallet)... ;)

The vin and name are on the insurance card , that should suffice.8/

Sir for $2 I can take your tag number to a local Tag Office and they will print me off a copy of your Vehical Registration complete with your full name and address. It is public info. But they do charge $2 for the copy of it.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sir for $2 I can take your tag number to a local Tag Office and they will print me off a copy of your Vehical Registration complete with your full name and address. It is public info. But they do charge $2 for the copy of it.

Well see thats why theres no need to carry it.... ;)

I know , one of those things I was taught.

Why do they charge me $82 dollars to get a new one then...LOL

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I must have been mistaken ..so i called a tag office. You do not need a registration in a personal vehicle in Oklahoma i was told and i was told if you go out of state you should put it in the car because some states require you to have it and as the lady at the tag office stated you can get in trouble in another state if you do not have it.

Commercial vehicles and boats must have registration papers in them in Oklahoma so i was told today.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Registration? No, you need a driver's license to get an Oklahoma vehicle registration and I don't have one of those, so somebody else registered it for me.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
up state New York a few years back, noregstation with me & a personalized plate, boy did that throw him, let us go with a warning

Latest posts

Top Bottom