Straw purchase question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crapsguy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
About to lose some cool points, but I think he did the right thing.
BTW I have worked at a gun counter.
I guess each store is at liberty to apply their own policy on these sales - some Walmarts handle different from others and some stores won't sell to people with a medi-pot license, etc, etc

for my part Im willing to work around any issue [and you/I can] as there are too many idiots buying guns legally and if I have to step around 2 holes to let one of those idiots fall in one of the traps I am happy to do so

OneMoreEvan

This is bowling, there are rules. MARK IT ZERO
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My experience with those "Big Box" stores is that most of the people there don't know their rear end from a hole in the ground. Had a dude at one of them threaten to call the cops on me after I bought a pistol and asked the manager if I could try out some holsters at the counter. I had tried a couple when this counter guy came over yelling "That's Brandishing a firearm" despite the fact that the manager was standing right there and said it would be fine. Made the decision that day that I would absolutely only buy from the local shops.

crapsguy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I found Academy to be a royal PITA to purchase a hand gun from. Never again.
Also. I purchased two very cheap gun cases. The kid at the register opened them up and ran his arm down them to see if I stuffed any contraband in them. These things were paper thin with no way of concealing anything. Academy has even done this with socks when my wife was there.
the guy was just following instructions -- people actually do stuff crap into all kinds of things - some very small, etc yet relatively expensive items

Decoligny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The way this could be a straw purchase by the BATFE was you were attempting to buy the gun for her using “her money” (her Academy Card).
This is in effect you making the purchase in her place, and not buying her a gift with your money. Same thing would probably happen if she tried to pay with her debit card instead of yours. They don’t care that you share the same bank account.

TeamTomlyn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got my own version of a "straw purchase" to avoid government and corporate infringement. First you go out and eat some greasy BBQ. Then to the big box stores to look for the guns you want. After you find one you like; start looking for it on the private market. If that doesn't work I order it off Bobs online and use the most local hole in the wall FFL I know to complete my purchase.
This not only makes me happy but flips the figurative bird to all the hair legged part time women of the world :)

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The main thing to remember about a straw purchase is buying it for someone who cannot legally buy it. If the other party is legally able, then it doesn't meet the criteria of a straw purchase. So you are fine. Just dont answer unrequired questioning.
Wrong. Buying a gun for someone else, that is not a "bona fide" gift meets the definition of a straw purchase. Even if the other person is not prohibited from owning a firearm. Additionally the buyer would not be able to correctly answer the first question on form 4473. ie: is this gun for you ?

Latest posts

Top Bottom