Anybody ever taken cortizone shots for Plantar Faciitis?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VitruvianDoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just started to get into running/jogging and have had issues with Plantar Fascitis for a long time.

I broke down and went to New Balance @ Utica Square here in Tulsa and they confirmed what I already knew. They have soles that have arch supports like anyone else, but they also have ones specifically for PF. It has what is called "meta-tarsal" support which is had an additional memory foam arch where the arch of the foot is and it compresses directly where PF aches the worst (for me at least).

I also bought shoes that have over-pronation (flat feet) support built in. The combo of the two feel incredible when walking.

However after jogging in these shoes for a few days, my feet hurt worse but I kept going giving that they were new and not broken in. About 2 weeks in and i can actually run w/o foot pain. Its amazing, I've never experienced it before. Now I just have to get into shape.

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had PF, real bad. I did not get shots. I resolved it with
- NSAIDS, which helped immediately. I used Celebrex, which requires a prescription. The problem is that NSAIDS are very bad for the kidneys.
- Weight loss, which reduced the stress on the feet
- Arch supports and more cushioning in the shoes. I used Superfeet Green and now use both Superfeet and those Dr. Scholl's that you get measured for with a big machine in the Walmart pharmacy
- Stretching - for me, the essential stretch is a deep squat. No added weight is needed, but going all the way full butt to heels is required. My favorite are Goblet Squats. Do a google search for details.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I forgot stretching. I face a wall and lean into it, keeping the feet flat on the floor.

BTW, don't expect it to go away overnight. Can take months.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dealt the PF for awhile and as you know it hurts like hell. What helped me was stretching, just sitting in the floor and stretching my legs out in front of me and grabbing my toes, took about a week for it to go away.....I was much younger.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don like to give shots for it because they typically aren't curative and because of the risk of fat pad atrophy. That is, the specialized fat cushion on the bottom of your foot goes away in the area of the shot. Then you really have a bad problem. I prefer stretching and night splints. Night splints can make a huge difference in just a few days.

Eddie005

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I had PF a coup;e of years ago. I did have the shot and it was not as painful as I was prepared for it to be. I also did the stretching and rolled it on the frozen water bottle and it did go away. I did not need a second shot.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did a runner's stretch 5-6 times each day. I also changed out all the old shoes I had been wearing. Mine went away in less than two weeks and has never returned.

Latest posts

Top Bottom