Anybody sold a car at carmax?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nemesis

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
First, I read xomebody sold a car to a dealer, and the dealer neglected to change the plates, and the new owner created some problems with the original owner's plates.

Is there some way to avoid that? Take the plates off?

How about a private party sale? Take the plates off?

Second, any of you ever sold to carmax? I definitely don't want to trade it, etc. Is carmax ok?

thanks

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The plate number is assigned to the VIN of the car, then the car is registered to a person. When the new owner signs the title of the car into their name, the same goes with the plate number. When a car is sold, the plate goes with it.

I've never heard anything good, bad, or indifferent about car max.

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not carmax, but I traded off an F-150 to David Stanley one time. I guess it got stolen or someone was an idiot, because I got a ticket in the mail. Running the toll from OKC to Tulsa. Seller beware is all I can say. Idk if you can pull the tags off. I know in Kansas you can, bc you are supposed to turn them back in to the state.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not carmax, but I traded off an F-150 to David Stanley one time. I guess it got stolen or someone was an idiot, because I got a ticket in the mail. Running the toll from OKC to Tulsa. Seller beware is all I can say. Idk if you can pull the tags off. I know in Kansas you can, bc you are supposed to turn them back in to the state.

Dated bill of sale/paperwork to prove you were no longer the owner at the time should take care of that, IF that happens, seems kind of like bad luck out of the odds of selling to a dealer. If you were selling on craigslist, nothing would surprise me there.

I personally always get a new plate when I buy a car, just in case there is any bad jew-jew of the old owner. Maybe someone wrote the tag number down when they cut someone off or something and they held a grudge about it, but I don't like having the potential of someone else's poor decisions hanging over my head. It would be just my luck.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
The last two cars I have traded in, I have removed the tags and returned them to the Cherokee tag agency. I know tribal tags are different, but if I had a regular tag, it would be removed as well.

smokeyokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have sold a car to CarMax it was an easy experience. They appraise it and show what they will offer you (non negotiable). I think you have 7 days to accept their offer. The worst part is waiting for all the paperwork to get done. They hand you a check and then I had to bum a ride home. My advice is clean all your shite out before you go up there if you are thinking about accepting there deal. I felt their offer was fair and within a couple of hundred of what I would have accepted in a private party sale.

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dated bill of sale/paperwork to prove you were no longer the owner at the time should take care of that, IF that happens, seems kind of like bad luck out of the odds of selling to a dealer. If you were selling on craigslist, nothing would surprise me there.

I personally always get a new plate when I buy a car, just in case there is any bad jew-jew of the old owner. Maybe someone wrote the tag number down when they cut someone off or something and they held a grudge about it, but I don't like having the potential of someone else's poor decisions hanging over my head. It would be just my luck.

Ya, I was able to prove no problem. But imagine my surprise when I checked the mail. It was a good 3 months after I sold it too. Until I found the paperwork, it made me think about the date of the ticket and the date I sold it. I knew it wasn't me, but my wife....you never know with her. Lmao!

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ya, I was able to prove no problem. But imagine my surprise when I checked the mail. It was a good 3 months after I sold it too. Until I found the paperwork, it made me think about the date of the ticket and the date I sold it. I knew it wasn't me, but my wife....you never know with her. Lmao!

LOL! Damn womenz drivers!

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This isn't a problem unique to Car Max. Since Oklahoma attaches the plate to the vehicle this can be a problem for anyone who trades a vehicle in. Until the new owner pays their excise tax and brings the tag up in their name it will continue to show in the OTC database as belonging to the previous owner. In the event of parking or toll violations all the former owner need do is provide the issuing agency with proof it was sold/traded. It's an inconvenience but not insurmountable.

Latest posts

Top Bottom