Anybody sold a car at carmax?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Technically, even if the tag isn't on the car, until the title is changed over, it is still in your name, plate on the car or not. The plate is pretty much a quick reference to pull up the vehicle information. Even if you took the plate, and someone did something stupid in the car, and the vin was ran, it would still come back to you. That's why taking the plate is no different from not taking it. Just keep your paperwork.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tried to sell them a Powerstroke once. I was attempting to buy another diesel from a private party and needed to get rid of mine. They offered me several thousand below trade in value. I ended up just trading it in at another lot and came out much better.

david04

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I lived in Georgia I had a Land Rover I wanted to sell, but couldn't get a buyer. I yielded to wife's pressure to take it to Carmax even though I knew no dealer would give me what I needed. As I drove in I told myself, "If they offer me such and such a price I'll take it, but no way they'll offer me that much." Wouldn't you know it - Their offer was EXACTLY what I told myself I would take. So I did. It was easy. I guess it depends on your car. If it's in demand, you'll get more.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As stated removing the plate is silly. If you are paranoid fill out the form (from your local tag office) that states you have sold the vehicle and file it. This will exempt you from anything that happens after you sell it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom