Anybody sold a car at carmax?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cody6766

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I sold them a car a few years back and it went well. Their offer was a little lower than I would have taken from a private party, but not so low I wasn't willing to take it. The same goes for buying from them. I paid a few hundred more than I would have at a traditional dealer, but it was nice knowing the guy selling me the car didn't care if I bought that car or another in the parking lot. He was looking for faults during the test drive with me. They get a flat commission, so it makes no difference to them if they sell a $10k car or a $40k car. They just want a sale and a happy customer. The biggest thing about dealing with Carmax is doing your research prior. Know what the vehicle is worth because they won't move on their price. They make their money by selling a little high and buying a little low, so it's up to you to know if it's a little or a lot. You could be screwing yourself otherwise.

JonnyRocco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just have the buyer sign the bottom of the Okla title with his name and address. It tears off and for $10 you can have the tag agent list it in their computer. It is called a "change of ownership" form. They then give you a printed copy of the transfer for your records. It is much better than taking the tag off. If I wouldn't have done this, my last car that I sold ran up double the sales price with the Texas Turnpike Authority and was later abandoned two years later in Louisiana. Each state tried to collect from me, but just by faxing them a copy of this recorded OTC form, I was home free. No more hassle. It is the best $10 I ever spent. They will try to garnish your check for tolls and towing charges if you do nothing.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have bought 2 cars from them and looked at a third. Never had a problem. On my last truck I got 3 quotes for trade in and they were exactly the same as the others. Easy process but kinda slow foin

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a friend who took her car to Carmax. They were test driving it when they completely totaled the car.

That would be a best case scenario. It was a one of a kind collector, now, write me a huge check.

Seriously, that would really suck. Not sure how that would get handled, particularly if it was their fault and you didn't have collision. Bad damn deal right there. Surely they have a specific policy that covers that for just such cases, surely, right?

Jestik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought my car from Carmax and their extended warranty, and let me tell you, that warranty saved my bacon. I ended up putting $8,000+ on that warranty over the lifetime of it, and I think it cost me $2,500.

Dangdar

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I received 2 bids from Carmax, one was a Corvette that was in good shape, they paid fair market for it and I was happy with it. The other offer was on an older Chevy pick up that was rougher, they didn't offer much for that at all and I didn't take them up on it. If your vehicle is cherry then they pay pretty good, if it has any cosmetic issues I don't think they want it on their lot.

One other nice think if they give you a bid and you are looking for something they dont have on the local lot you can take the offer to a different Carmax and they will honor it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Latest posts

Top Bottom