Anyone On Here Work With Brass Plating?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Backstrap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m working on a project at my home to replace a couple of brass plates that were installed as combination doorbells/speakers on a couple of exterior doors when the house was built almost 20 years ago. Going to install Ring doorbells in the 4”x6” junction boxes that the old brass plates covered, but I’ll need two new plates with one cutout in the middle of each for the Ring device and screw holes drilled top and bottom for mounting on the boxes. I don’t have the new brass plates but do have the old ones that can be used as a template. I’m in Tulsa but would be willing to travel to OKC or thereabouts to get the job done. PM me if you have access to 3/16” thick brass plating and are interested in tackling this.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe Lowes carries the brass plates. They are actually brass kick plates for the bottom of doors, but I'd think you could cut them out and make the holes. If not, and you want to travel to Ponca City, I have all the equipment for knockouts and drilling.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can order the brass on Amazon, and with a drill and good file, brass is easy to manipulate by hand. Takes longer, it's tedious, but you'll feel like a man.

Also, wear a respirator.

Backstrap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe Lowes carries the brass plates. They are actually brass kick plates for the bottom of doors, but I'd think you could cut them out and make the holes. If not, and you want to travel to Ponca City, I have all the equipment for knockouts and drilling.

They do, but the plates have screw holes along the top and bottom edges which I don’t want. Also, they’re only .03 inches thick; I need 3/16” thickness.

You can order the brass on Amazon, and with a drill and good file, brass is easy to manipulate by hand. Takes longer, it's tedious, but you'll feel like a man.

Also, wear a respirator.

I’ve looked, but haven’t found any without the aforementioned screw holes that I don’t want or need.

4x6 sounds like a 3-gang box, so try searching for "3-gang brass blank plate" and you can probably buy what you want off the shelf.

You’re correct - but all I’ve found have the screw holes for horizontal mounting of the plate - i.e., 3 gangs across for horizontal mounting. Mine will be vertically mounted with only two screw holes top and bottom and a single vertical cutout in the middle.

I can probably find true blank brass plates online somewhere; thanks for the offer dennishoddy and I may take you up on that if I don’t attempt the drilling myself!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom