Anyone Use a Big Green Egg Grill?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cold grill to hot grill cooking.
It’s not too bad at all. There are multiple methods of lighting (one guy mentioned the propane weed burner which is a fast option)

It depends if you’re setting up for a long smoke or a blazing hot/fast pizza cook, etc

I generally just use 2 or 3 “tumble weed” firestarters near the bottom of my lump charcoal pile. The coals are nice and lit in about 20 mins… then shut lid and get it up to your desired temperature/adjust vents accordingly to hold that temp.

From the moment I light to the meat being on is usually about 30mins. The propane torch methods are faster. But I’m normally not rushing when I’m grilling so I’m good with the 30mins

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It’s not too bad at all. There are multiple methods of lighting (one guy mentioned the propane weed burner which is a fast option)

It depends if you’re setting up for a long smoke or a blazing hot/fast pizza cook, etc

I generally just use 2 or 3 “tumble weed” firestarters near the bottom of my lump charcoal pile. The coals are nice and lit in about 20 mins… then shut lid and get it up to your desired temperature/adjust vents accordingly to hold that temp.

From the moment I light to the meat being on is usually about 30mins. The propane torch methods are faster. But I’m normally not rushing when I’m grilling so I’m good with the 30mins
Shoot, cooking on my weber propane it still might be 30 minutes until I'm ready to cook. That's just about right for a whiskey sour and cigar pre-game.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a kamado Joe “big Joe” (same size as XL green egg) a few months back and I love it! It was on sale for a great price so I nabbed it up

Kamado Joe has 3 different lines: series 1, 2, and 3. Mine is the cheaper series 1. Same unit overall but with simpler accessories (no air lift lid hinge, simpler chimney cap/vent, not as good of lid gasket, less extras, etc).. Although for the most part you upgrade those things later if needed

Kamados grill and smoke wonderfully! Very temp stable. Very stable in windy conditions. They make excellent pizza ovens as well. Mine has the “divide and conquer” which allows me to set up different heat zones for sides and meats etc

I will say though, they are a bit finicky and you’ll need to tinker around to find methods that work. Way easier than an offset stick burner, but you’ll still need to learn to master your fire.

I have a family I’m cooking for so I went with the big one 100%. Depending how much space you need the mid-size one might suit you. But if you can drop the coin, go big
There's just something about the ceramic that cooks better. I don't know what it is, but that's definitely a fact.

I've found that if you have a good seal on your gasket they are pretty repeatable. Different brands of lump will behave slightly differently temp wise and vary quite a bit flavor wise, but once you get the feel for your vent settings you can almost always get close to your temp pretty quickly without a much fuss and sometimes nail it right from the jump.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There's just something about the ceramic that cooks better. I don't know what it is, but that's definitely a fact.

I've found that if you have a good seal on your gasket they are pretty repeatable. Different brands of lump will behave slightly differently temp wise and vary quite a bit flavor wise, but once you get the feel for your vent settings you can almost always get close to your temp pretty quickly without a much fuss and sometimes nail it right from the jump.
My experience too! I love it

You mentioned the lid sealing and that reminded me I did a check on the one I bought. The one I bought was a floor model on discount. I read about the possible lid sealing issues of the lower line Kamado Joe.

I read on a forum about a light test. I brought a high lumen flashlight with me to the store and set it inside the grill pointing in different directions and never saw any light coming through.

Mine seals up great and doesn’t leak any smoke. It’s often windy out where I live. My stick burner offset was a nightmare in the wind. I’m loving the Kamado!

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an Akorn. Like KJ it gets the job done as well as the BGE foe much less.

I am scared of pellets due to the glues and adhesives used by the companies producing the pellets. The pellets are held together by more than pressure or friction.

I use all natural unformed charcoal. Get yourself a chimney to start the coals and use nothing more than clean newspaper (no plastics!) and a match. No chemicals. I soak wood for a week or longer in water, put the hot coals in, and add the soaked wood on top. This will produce a lot of smoke.

All three can be shut off after smoking and the coals will go cold, you can recover up to maybe 75% of your original coals. I just put a turkey on, had 50% volume in my chimney from the reused coals from my smoked brisket from two weeks ago.

Use the compressed charcoal in an hibachi.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m running an XL BGE that I bought 12 years ago and still running strong. Love it for long smokes. My only hesitation is in strong winds because sometimes during initial lighting when you are waiting for the coals to catch and get uniform, the lump charcoal can pop and discharge cinders. I personally won’t use mine if it’s a strong north wind because I don’t want to catch my neighbors house on fire - I still like them after 7 years. Other than that, I love the heck out of my Egg!

I also have a Green Mountain pellet grill which I use about as much as my Egg. I have no regrets with either. Although, I’ll be selling the Green Mountain soon to buy a bigger Rectec. Going bigger is the only reason for selling.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well…. There she FU**’IN goes… got her on sale. Felt blessed to have a grill outside my price range.. used it a few times. Effin storms tonight 80mph+ winds blew it clean off my porch and it’s effed

Guess I’m out of the kamado club

IMG_3723.jpeg

IMG_3724.jpeg

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well…. There she FU**’IN goes… got her on sale. Felt blessed to have a grill outside my price range.. used it a few times. Effin storms tonight 80mph+ winds blew it clean off my porch and it’s effed

Guess I’m out of the kamado club

View attachment 476484

View attachment 476485
Oh DAMN ... I'm so sorry! Everything else is okay though?? Homeowners cover it?? Maybe??

Latest posts

Top Bottom