Appleseed at Tri-City, July 29th Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a couple of young men who are ready to start doing some serious training and shooting a match or three ... Hundred 😁 ... But it has been a while for me (and Grumpy) and I have questions ...

1. Who is running the Appleseed Program now?
2. I see where LEO and .mil get a discount, but I don't know if Grumpy gets a discount because he is retired now. I don't wanna sign him up and then learn later that I screwed up and didn't pay enough ... Or paid too much ...
3. Have any of you been to an Appleseed at Tri-City lately?? How was it?? Any advice for an old lady who's gonna have a tired ass grumpy husband and their 11 and 12 year old surrogate grandsons with them. Honestly, I don't know who is more excited about spending the day at the range -- them, me or Grumpy! Lol
4. How many people are usually at these things?? I wanna say the last one we went to had 20 or so shooters. I do remember we had a good time and we think the boys will learn a lot and have some fun, too.
5. Oh one more thing -- are there any rules about adults/youngsters?? Like if Grumpy can't get off work can I bring both the boys by myself or do I need another adult??

Anyway, chat me up guys.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a Tri City member, but I have not done appleseed there. They have shaded pavillion areas with tables for eating, bathrooms with privacy stalls and sinks with running water. Easy parking, and right off I35.

osupoke

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been to one there each of the last 2 Aprils. I don't remember the instructors names (they largely go by nicknames to make sure it's not about them personally), but they were all great. They do a great job with the marksmanship instruction, but then also interspersing some really cool Revolutionary War era history (you didn't hear these stories in school either!). This past spring, they even brought some personal stuff to enhance the experience. My 13 year-old son got to shoot a muzzleloader, an M1 Carbine, a 1903 Springfield, and an M1 Garand. He didn't get his patch, but he had a great weekend.

I'm pretty sure you can take both boys yourself, as long as they have their heads basically screwed on. Everyone will help keep an eye on them. If they get barked at it's not personal, Appleseed instructors are just very careful about safety.

April 22 had about 6 shooters, but it was their first back after COVID. April 23 had about 25 shooters, which was fairly crowded. Typically there are a few that don't come back Sunday, so the line is a bit less crowded.

Are you shooting, or just the boys? If you have aging eyes, you will want a scope on your rifle. Young eyes can do fine with irons, but it's tough. I've gotten a couple patches with irons, but if/when I take my next son I think I'm gonna cave and use a scope.

Take plenty of sunscreen, the line there is uncovered.

Also best to take some kind of shooting mat, and tent stakes to pin them down with (although there probably won't be much breeze on July 29).

Getting a patch is a pretty tall order for most 11/12 year olds; most adults don't shoot Rifleman at their first Appleseed. If you make both days, they will be tuckered out. But it will be a great experience for them; great lessons to be learned from some quality people.

osupoke

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can also catch Daniel Hensch if you have questions (maybe you knew him from run and gun events?). I don't know if he's "running" Appleseed but I've been to 3 over the years and he's been an RO at every one.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can also catch Daniel Hensch if you have questions (maybe you knew him from run and gun events?). I don't know if he's "running" Appleseed but I've been to 3 over the years and he's been an RO at every one.

Uhmmm he had some personal issues a few years back and stepped away from Appleseed, I think. I like Daniel and truly hope he got everything worked out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom