AR Problem, Need Help.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preacher99

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I received an AR in a trade that consists of plum crazy lower and a rock river upper. It has an 11" shaw heavy barrel. The first few times taking it out, it shot great. The last couple of times it has been bending the rings on the bolt, causing it to lock up. Can anyone offer any suggestions to the problem? It has been thoroughly cleaned, and it will function for about 7-10 rounds before doing it again.

The only thing that has changed is the ammo I have used. It is some BVAC reloads I picked up at the tulsa gun show. I haven't tried any other since the problem started. Would appreciate any help or can someone recommed me a person to take it to?

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bending the rings? The gas rings?

Ditto to SBRing a plum crazy...that's just well, plum crazy isn't it?

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yea i dont know all the specifics, ive just read a few things here and there, and im pretty sure you have to turn in some type of paper work and get the gun engraved and pay a tax, among other things i guess, in order to own a rifle with a barrel under 16 inches long. so uh, at this point it looks like you are not in compliance with the law. "THEY" are probably already watching you!

someone on here will know more about the sbr process and laws.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
oh yea, should be good to go then i think as long as it is permanently attached. as far as the problem you are having, i would try some different ammo and see how that works first. if thats all that you changed from before when it was working, then it may be as easy a fix as that.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It has a 5" flash suppressor that makes it over 16" long in total length. I was told by several that this makes it legal.

As long as that 5" flash hider is permanently attached (blind pinned & welded or 1100 degree silver soldered), you are fine. If it can be unscrewed, you are not.

Preacher99

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The first time, the ring was barely bent, so I straigthened it and tried it again. After about 10 -12 rounds it led to a pretty mangled ring, which I then replaced all of them. The last time I shot it, after seven rounds it led to a barely bent ring again. I just replaced the ring again. All of this has happened with the same batch of ammo, but I don't know what could be causing it. The rounds gets jammed in the chamber, and when I finally get it dislodged, I find that the rings are bent.

Latest posts

Top Bottom