are godless kids doomed?...and other fun stuff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
... Also, as an aside question, what sparks the heart to begin beating in the developing child? Could it be God is doing that?
No, it isn't god. It's an inherent capability of heart cells to start, and coordinate, the beating process. The same thing happens when we grow hearts in the lab.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Terry, I thought that if kids are under the "age of accountability", they go to Heaven regardless but I can't find a verse to back that up.

No. Depending on how they lived their life regarding right and wrong in the heart, Purgatory might be their destination.

Actually, the Hadean world is made up into two parts. Those that follow the teachings of God and Jesus will go to Paradise after their death, and those that fail to follow those teachings go to Purgatory. There is no crossing of the gulf between those two places, and they could be called a "holding place" while waiting for the final judgement.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To me, this thread isn't at all about concern for "doomed" children, but is really just a vehicle for people who think they are superior to people who are different or have different beliefs than themselves to have a mutual admiration society.

Just as a thought, does this comment come because people think non-believers are superior to believers? After all, how many times have non-believers said that we believers were "just superstitious?"

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Without blind faith the industry of the clergy and the con-artist could not be sustained. That correlation pretty much sums it all up right there.

Could not the same be said about atheists? The Supreme Court at one time did declare that atheism was in itself a religion. Wouldn't that then require faith?

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
which version/translation? Even if you accept that God's word was passed to man, it's hard thousands of years to be interpreted/corrupted/manipulated, has it not?

The bible was first written in a language that was not easily understood by the average person, was it not?

Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek.

You raise a good point! The KJV has numerous translation errors. The worst was translating Sheol,Ghenna, and Tartaroo into one incorrect word: Hell....

For myself, I go with the American Standard Version of 1901. When I asked if the KJV wasn't the best translation because it was the oldest, I was told that the NIV included things that were learned from the Dead Sea Scrolls, which the KJV obviously didn't have. Then I was told that the ASV of 1901 was the closest translation, word for word. This was confirmed by a conversation with a Biblical scholar who was a professor at Oklahoma Christian University in Edmond. That same person knows the original languages and has even worked with the Dead Sea Scrolls. He told me that he could translate directly from the original languages to the ASV. For any other version, he would then have to paraphrase.

So, I use the ASV and if I encounter something that is a strange word, I fall back on the New American Standard Version for the paraphrased text to get the gist of what the ASV is saying.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
latin, as well? which was not widely understood and required a priest to 'help' be understood/shared. Wasn't that one of the points of the reformation?

But the overall point still stands. Which 'owners manual' is correct? I don't mean to disparage those who choose to live by the teaching of the bible, but rather point out that the bible we have today is far different (both in language and meaning) from the original and that the idea that the bible is uncorrupted by the needs of man is unrealistic.

It has served as a tool of those in power for centuries in much the same way the powers continues to manipulate the masses today.

Actually, the original texts of the New Testament were written before Rome's emperor recognized Christianity, therefore, Latin is not one of the original languages.

As a follow up to that, I had a discussion with a former co-worker about what the Catholic Church believed. I asked this co-worker to check with their priest with this question: "What did the Catholic Church follow first; the Bible or the Canon." This co-worker returned with the priest's answer, which was the Canon. Because my co-worker had stated to me that the Bible was "just a good book, but it was written by men," I then asked her if the Canon wasn't also written by men. I got no answer.

I did find it strange because I had a friend in the Army that was Catholic and he studied his Bible more than I did mine.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't get hung-up in the literal. Look for the relative meaning.

Actually, I'll stick with the literal of the American Standard Version of 1901. Relative meaning simply means that someone has construed the actual text of the Bible in a different way, thus leaving the relative meaning weak and perhaps even wrong.

Latest posts

Top Bottom