Are You Beginning to Stock Up on Ammo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoorayebay

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
They probably didn't teach you Latin Classics in school, but this quotation is appropriate:

Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur.

Arrogante ambulancia chaser. Look at me I'm cool I know different languages. Any baboon can order Rosetta Stone and memorize phrases.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think now is a good time to do a little prudent stocking-up. It is unlikely that ammo or guns will get appreciably cheaper anytime in the foreseeable future. On the other hand, I can think of one very clear situation where they will get more expensive, and maybe harder to get.

I have my eye on a couple of guns which I plan to exercise an option on before next Fall. I'm also slowly adding ammo to the pile at a faster rate than I'm using it. Just my definition of prudent.

I have a .40 S&W calibered pistol that I'm selling, along with the ammo I have for it. I was just noticing that I paid around 20-30% more for it less than 3 years ago than I would have to pay for it today. It could easily go right back up to that level and higher. At about that same time, it was almost impossible to get .380 ACP ammo and WalMart had a tough time getting and keeping .22 lr or .45 ACP.

Ammo is near-legal tender.

Cool lookin' dawg. What kind is that?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just because of this thread, I just made a special trip to my local WalMart (about 6 blocks away) and picked up another 100 rounds each of 9mm, .45 and .223.

And I'm gonna stop at at least one more Wal-Mart later today/tonight. Prolly do the same again.

I don't know how much I have altogether now... not near enough, I don't think. Maybe 500 rounds of .45, 200-300 of .40 and 300 or so of 9mm? 3-400 of .223?

I figure I'd like to keep at least double that on-hand at any one time. So that I can go have fun playing on the spur of the moment without significantly reducing my stockpile, and just in case whatever.

How much do you guys keep on-hand?

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Rushing to the store to stock up because of fear is what caused all the prices on ammo to go up. By engaging in this trend, you're perpetuating the cycle.

Election 2008- If Obama becomes president, he will outlaw guns &/or tax ammo. Stock up before it's too late.=Higher costs on ammunition, store limits, limited supply.

Election 2012- If Obama gets re-elected, nothing will stop him from doing what he wants to our 2nd ammendment rights &/or the world is going to end (I'm starting to think some of you can't wait for the latter), stock up before it's too late.=Higher costs on ammunition, store limits, limited supply.

And to think, some of you guys refer to folks being "sheeple". The ammo shortages and price hikes were caused by fear in the shooting community.

Flame suit is on, have at it.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rushing to the store to stock up because of fear is what caused all the prices on ammo to go up. By engaging in this trend, you're perpetuating the cycle.

Election 2008- If Obama becomes president, he will outlaw guns &/or tax ammo. Stock up before it's too late.=Higher costs on ammunition, store limits, limited supply.

Election 2012- If Obama gets re-elected, nothing will stop him from doing what he wants to our 2nd ammendment rights &/or the world is going to end (I'm starting to think some of you can't wait for the latter), stock up before it's too late.=Higher costs on ammunition, store limits, limited supply.

And to think, some of you guys refer to folks being "sheeple". The ammo shortages and price hikes were caused by fear in the shooting community.

You are 100% right. I have enough to get more if I have to if the EOFTWASWKI was to happen anyway. This thread has gone downhill and gotten stupid. :homer:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Obama has made no secret about his anti-2A agenda.

So you think that buying ammo to make your own private stock and be independent of the market if/when others begin a "run" on ammo is perpetuating the cycle?

So then, buying gold to diversify your stock portfolio is also reactionist and irresponsible? And stocking up on food supplies so you could spend a few weeks or months living minimally in the event of some kind of civil unrest is just worsening the problem?

I understand where you're coming from, and the whole point of buying a few extra boxes here and there is to keep from participating in the panic and being subject to the shortages later. It's actually GOOD for the market and manufacturers! If we all step up our purchasing by say, 5-10%, then the ammo manufacturers will have more demand, more capital flowing, and more incentive to increase their production by hiring more workers, running more shifts and even building more plants to meet the increased demand! In fact, if we are all nice and stocked up from a slow stockpiling over the next 9 months or so, if/when the "run" on ammo begins, none of us will have to participate, thus lessening the impact of such a run on the market and easing the strain.

So... more buying now, more capital, more production. Less panic and demand later if/when the uninformed/unprepared begin to panic.

Sounds like a win/win. If you're not buying now, then you are contributing to the problem later.

See how that works?

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
"So you think that buying ammo to make your own private stock and be independent of the market if/when others begin a "run" on ammo is perpetuating the cycle?"

No where did I even hint this. I've read your work before, you're pretty good at putting words in peoples mouth.

"So then, buying gold to diversify your stock portfolio is also reactionist and irresponsible? And stocking up on food supplies so you could spend a few weeks or months living minimally in the event of some kind of civil unrest is just worsening the problem?"

See there, you did it again.

My post is pretty much to the point, no need for disection.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
"So you think that buying ammo to make your own private stock and be independent of the market if/when others begin a "run" on ammo is perpetuating the cycle?"

No where did I even hint this. I've read your work before, you're pretty good at putting words in peoples mouth.

Sounds pretty much just like what you said, to me. And you invited the criticism openly. So why are you whining?

I'm just engaging in an open debate. And my comments about gold and food are simply the next logical progression in the flawed logic you used. Not putting words in your mouth. It is a common and accepted practice to inject flawed logical arguments into other areas of discussion with similar trends and outcomes to demonstrate the fallacies inherent in the argument on a wider field. Feel free to defend your stance, but don't whine when people call you on something, when you actively invited and expected it.

You're more than welcome to rebut any of the points I made, should you have a logical argument to do so. Or just continue making inflammatory statements about people when they don't agree with you and your philosophy, or appreciate you looking down on them and ridiculing them for what a good many people consider prudent and wise behavior.

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This: "Rushing to the store to stock up because of fear"

is not the same as this:

"So you think that buying ammo to make your own private stock and be independent of the market"
regardless of the spin you put on it.

Do you just like to argue?

According to you, my opinion is whinning and your opinion is debating. Does that about sum it up?

Stay classy doc.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom