Are you proud to be an American?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grindstone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe that pride is something that must be earned, by choosing values and acting so that you recognize them in your Self. I don't think it makes sense to take pride in a fact of biology and/or geography that you have no control over... so in the sense of just being from here, I have no pride in that. Still, being an American is a choice all of us make by continuing to live in this country, and I do take some pride in my choice to live in the place I believe is most consistent with my values, and in which many of the things I value are present... more so in my actions taken towards strengthening those values. So short answer: yes.

As an aside, some of the categories in that poll are pretty off-the-wall. I wonder what category they would pigeonhole me into... "business conservative," "young outsider," or "hard-pressed skeptic?" LOL. In ways I am all of those things. I certainly don't see myself as being a "typical American," thank God. I don't see having pride in being American as the same thing as having pride in my fellow Americans.

The question about whether honor and duty are your core values brings up more interesting issues. I would personally say honor yes, duty no. My honor is my commitment to my chosen values. However, I pursue those values not out of any perceived duty, but as my own rational choice.

The results of this poll don't mean much to me because I don't think very many people define these terms the same way I do; but it does bring up some interesting things to think about.
You. I like you.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It all has to do with defining proud,,,
I'm not "proud" of anything I didn't earn for myself.

It's like when people say,,,
You should be proud for owning a (pick any popular gun brand).

I tell them that I really like owning that particular gun,,,
But any pride I have comes from being proud that I earn enough to afford it.

I'm so happy that I was born an American citizen,,,
Many years overseas in the USAF gave me that perspective.

I am tickled pink that I don't live in Europe,,,
Where people are governed so tightly they choke.

I am ecstatic that I wasn't born in some chit-hole arab country,,,
Where they stone you for blasphemy of their religion,,,
Or set you on fire for marrying for love.

I'm forever grateful that I wasn't born in some asian country,,,
Where life is so cheap that they will let millions starve,,,
Simply as a way to control the population.

There's a quote by Mark Twain that I always took to heart,,,
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."

It doesn't apply exactly to this topic,,,
Because it's talking to patriotism rather than pride,,,
But in a way the philosophical intent applies to pride of country.

I'm a strange duck in that I feel pride for few things,,,
People say, "Aren't you proud of our Cowboys for winning the game?"

I reply that I am very happy for the team because they won the game,,,
But since I didn't do anything at all to help them win,,,
I can't take pride in their accomplishment.

Dictionary.com defines pride as:

1. a high or inordinate opinion of one's own dignity, importance, merit, or superiority, whether as cherished in the mind or as displayed in bearing, conduct, etc.

2. the state or feeling of being proud.

3. a becoming or dignified sense of what is due to oneself or one's position or character; self-respect; self-esteem.

4. pleasure or satisfaction taken in something done by or belonging to oneself or believed to reflect credit upon oneself: civic pride.

5. something that causes a person or persons to be proud: His art collection was the pride of the family.

Definition 1 is what I believe how most people use the word,,,
Definition 4 best describes what the word means to me.

Proud to be an American?,,,
Not necessarily.

Am I happy to be an American?,,,
I am absolutely ecstatic to be an American citizen!

Aarond

USN-SCW-Ret

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes still very proud and grateful to be born and raised in America, also proud I got to serve my country for 30 years. No I am not happy with America's political and economic future. And I weep for America's future but I still fly Old Glory on my front porch and pray for our youth to wake up from their digital dream world.

WP_000654.jpg

In my travels in the military, I have pulled tours of duty in alot of little **** hole 3rd world areas and countries. For the most part people are people, all around the world, the bad ones are just poorly educated or just bad.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe that pride is something that must be earned, by choosing values and acting so that you recognize them in your Self. I don't think it makes sense to take pride in a fact of biology and/or geography that you have no control over... so in the sense of just being from here, I have no pride in that. Still, being an American is a choice all of us make by continuing to live in this country, and I do take some pride in my choice to live in the place I believe is most consistent with my values, and in which many of the things I value are present... more so in my actions taken towards strengthening those values. So short answer: yes.

As an aside, some of the categories in that poll are pretty off-the-wall. I wonder what category they would pigeonhole me into... "business conservative," "young outsider," or "hard-pressed skeptic?" LOL. In ways I am all of those things. I certainly don't see myself as being a "typical American," thank God. I don't see having pride in being American as the same thing as having pride in my fellow Americans.

The question about whether honor and duty are your core values brings up more interesting issues. I would personally say honor yes, duty no. My honor is my commitment to my chosen values. However, I pursue those values not out of any perceived duty, but as my own rational choice.

The results of this poll don't mean much to me because I don't think very many people define these terms the same way I do; but it does bring up some interesting things to think about.

I agree. I seen the poll and it just got me thinking. I like many others am proud to be an American. I do not agree with a lot that is going on with our government.

Latest posts

Top Bottom