At&t or Cox internet?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had Cox for over 20 years, dropped them like a hot potato after issue after issue with their service. I am on Uverse now and love it, but we also are a fiber to home addition so the speeds are decent enough for what I need and the monthly fee is almost half of what I was paying thru Cox.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Happy with cox. Call to cancel when your promotions expire and they'll give you better deals. I'm still on 40% off.
Look into the Frame Rate Chicken Challenge, issued by Brian Brushwood of the Frame Rate podcast. He got fed up and called to cancel his cable TV service (only the TV, not the Internet service), and they kept offering sweeter and sweeter deals in an effort to keep him; he'd already publicly announced his intention to cut the cord, so he ended up telling them no, but that led to the Chicken Challenge--call your cable/satellite provider and tell them you're ready to drop their service, and see what they do to try to keep you. They've had tales of their viewers/listeners taking the challenge and getting their Internet service upgraded with basic cable packages thrown in essentially for free because they need the TV subscriber headcount.

Brian's Frame Rate co-host, Tom Merritt, set up a Google Plus community for viewers to share their Chicken Challenge stories ( https://plus.google.com/communities/115740458701461018530 ) in the hope that they might help others in their cost-/cord-cutting endeavors.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was ready to make the change to AT&T this past spring but two things changed my mind. The first was discovering that AT&T's president, in his role on the Boy Scout executive board, is a key driver on the policy change as regards homosexuals. The second was when the installer arrived for the in-home portion of the install was obviously scared of my dog, insisting the dog be removed before he could work, citing AT&T rules. I told him the dog lives here and AT&T's services were no longer required.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went from Cox to AT&T Uverse because I got tired of the rising prices of bundle services and all the rental fees for receivers, DVR, HD...etc. I was paying over $200 a month. I got a good price with AT&T and had almost every channel they offered for the same price as Cox. After 2 months with AT&T, I got rid of my land-line (have a cell phone so didn't need it). Dropped the tv service and got an HD antenna, then got the highest speed internet AT&T has for half price. I also ended up getting Hulu, Netflix and Amazon Prime (all around $7.00-$7.99 a month). So now I'm saving around $150 a month and LOVE IT! The HD antenna gives me all the local channels in high def and looks great. With Hulu, Amazon and Netflix, I can watch all the movies and shows I want...even some of the old stuff I grew up watching. As far as Amazon Prime....not the best tv service, but pays for itself if you buy off Amazon regularly (get free 2 day shipping on the products you buy, if you're a Prime member). For those that are tired of paying high cable bills I highly recommend it.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was ready to make the change to AT&T this past spring but two things changed my mind. The first was discovering that AT&T's president, in his role on the Boy Scout executive board, is a key driver on the policy change as regards homosexuals. The second was when the installer arrived for the in-home portion of the install was obviously scared of my dog, insisting the dog be removed before he could work, citing AT&T rules. I told him the dog lives here and AT&T's services were no longer required.

I don't really blame him. I used to work at an ISP, and went to do an install. Owner swore the dog (GSD or some other similar sized breed) was an angel and wouldn't hurt a fly. While I was installing the modem, I felt a stabbing pain in the back of my leg as the dog tried to take a chunk out of it.

Of course, "he's never done anything like this before! Blah blah blah." Luckily I was wearing jeans and only walked away with a nasty bruise.

JMS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just dumped at&t for Cox after 6 years of due to their inability to get my Internet back up for a month of being down. A month!!! They sent 6 different service techs to fix the problem. None knew of the work the previous one had done. Half gave up when they couldn't figure out the problem and the other half disagreed on the problem. All were wrong! And don't get me started on the automated service call in thingy. I spent almost 10 hours on hold. On hold!!! Most of the time I was transferred to the wrong department. After 30 days I just gave up, had some money refunded and switched to Cox. Will Cox be any better? Time will tell. I have had better luck with service so far. Two services and its been the same dude. He seems competent. That's big for me. Opposite of what at&t was like. Similar price and similar wifi speeds. Life is worth living again. lol

Last edited:

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Cox Internet sucks. I have the upgraded higher speed plan and my wifi is very spotty. Seems like my laptop and a couple of other devices continually have to reconnect with my router. It's a huge pain in the butt. I never had this issue when I had uverse.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems like my laptop and a couple of other devices continually have to reconnect with my router. It's a huge pain in the butt. I never had this issue when I had uverse.

That doesn't have anything to do with Cox' service, that's your router. Sounds like you need a better router. If you're using a wireless gateway from Cox, that might be the issue. I always use my own wireless router with a modem from the provider, as the wireless gateways that come with the service are usually crap, regardless of the provider.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't really blame him. I used to work at an ISP, and went to do an install. Owner swore the dog (GSD or some other similar sized breed) was an angel and wouldn't hurt a fly. While I was installing the modem, I felt a stabbing pain in the back of my leg as the dog tried to take a chunk out of it.

Of course, "he's never done anything like this before! Blah blah blah." Luckily I was wearing jeans and only walked away with a nasty bruise.

Believe it or not, dogs know when you're scared and this installer was about piss himself on the front porch. The first reason was enough anyway.

Latest posts

Top Bottom