Best Interest rates or Investment ROI?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OkcShooter, I have several questions if you don't mined.

I have always been interested in rental properties. So much so I'd love to do it for a living someday. Out here in my area homes are just too expensive to make it a reality. My wife an I always plan on moving and that move will most likely be to the Tulsa area. I have a family friend whose son make a good living renting home in the Tulsa area. I think he owns about a dozen and has flipped about the same as well. Another retired couple out here owns 3-4 duplexes in a smaller college town in central CA and they do well and have a lot of restrictions on whom and how they rent.

Here are my thoughts so let me know if you think the idea is sound. I know you said you tend to buy middle,to higher income homes to rent. My thoughts are, as well as I'm sure there are more than several others already doing it, is to buy cheaper home in close proximity to, say, U of Tulsa and go that route for income property. My thoughts are that smaller two and three bedroom homes would have the propensity to attract students or graduate students and families that want to live off campus. Most would require high end finishes this saving some initial, more expensive capital. Screening for the "right" tenants would be key though. Our friends that have the duplexes in the college town seem to have the screening down pat. Here is what they told me. They will,ONLY rent to males. Absolutely no females. Their reasoning seem logical. When they first started they had female renters. The learned quickly that when the smalles thing went wrong with the home they make a call for fix. Didn't seem to matter the time of day or night, they called. Hair stoppage. In the sing or shower, hook came off the wall, small water drip under the sink. Stuff like that. Their theory on renting to boys was that, although they tend to be a bit harder on the home, they typically will get very few calls for small problems. Sink clogged, the males will fix it. Small leak they take check it and tighten something down or will even replace a small inexpensive part themselves.

Our friends did say they tend to end in keeping a bit more of the original deposit when they move for repair and replacement items but is a much better option for them getting so few "fix it" calls. They also mention that most male renters, if they have a good relationship with them will rent the same home continuously for 2-4 years while they are in school.

One more thing. Do you know of a website for forum dedicated to people whom are landlords like yourself? Thanks in advance.

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I could probably make someone from 50 percent up doubling your investment in 4 years. If you got balls. Worst case scenario you brak even.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another retired couple out here owns 3-4 duplexes in a smaller college town in central CA and they do well and have a lot of restrictions on whom and how they rent.

Okay I gotta ask because I thought about "smaller college" towns in the ventral valley and I am kinda stumped. Presumably smaller than Fresno or Bakersfield so.... Merced? Turlock?

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
its safer than another housing market crash for sure!

I don't really think this is much of a concern for the vast majority of OK properties. Particularly single family dwellings in larger metro area.

And actually when property values stumble, rental locations are in higher demand since people often don't have enough leverage to buy.

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't really think this is much of a concern for the vast majority of OK properties. Particularly single family dwellings in larger metro area.

And actually when property values stumble, rental locations are in higher demand since people often don't have enough leverage to buy.

You are taking Loans on said property are you not? Then it does matter.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are taking Loans on said property are you not? Then it does matter.

A fixed loan on an existing property is already locked in; I wouldn't need to solicit credit on those. Also the properties in OK depreciated little to zero (and some still continued appreciating) in the 2008 real estate crash, so loan-to-value wasn't and loss of equity weren't much of an issue either.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
real estate is always a good investment. Not ALL real estate, but properly priced investment property in desirable schools, etc.

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I could probably make someone from 50 percent up doubling your investment in 4 years. If you got balls. Worst case scenario you brak even.
I started the thread asking for information on investment ideas and best interest rates. Care to share how I can earn those rates of return?

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a few rental properties. I've bought 11 in the last two years. Mine are higher end ($140-160k). Most all of mine are new construction (2010, with most 2012-13). I'd like to end up with 50+ by the time I retire.

I'm a major hard ass as a landlord. Sob stories fall on deaf ears. If they breach the contract by not paying on time, I will evict them, get a judgment, and garnish their bank accounts and/or wages. I'm also very picky about who I approve as a tenant. Not only does my property manager do a credit check, we also check oscn. I don't want tenants who have a lot of baggage like protective orders, small claims actions, etc. I'd rather have the property sit empty than chase people for rent.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a few rental properties. I've bought 11 in the last two years. Mine are higher end ($140-160k). Most all of mine are new construction (2010, with most 2012-13). I'd like to end up with 50+ by the time I retire.

I'm a major hard ass as a landlord. Sob stories fall on deaf ears. If they breach the contract by not paying on time, I will evict them, get a judgment, and garnish their bank accounts and/or wages. I'm also very picky about who I approve as a tenant. Not only does my property manager do a credit check, we also check oscn. I don't want tenants who have a lot of baggage like protective orders, small claims actions, etc. I'd rather have the property sit empty than chase people for rent.

Exactly the reason for renting high end property's for the most part.

I'm out of the rental business now, but in the past did some low end. There are a lot of low end rental folks that have great credit reports. They don't have enough for a high end, yet according to their mandatory credit reports, have great scores so I didn't have any problem renting to them. Most were family members of folks I worked with, so that was another plus.

Had a couple of times in the low end rentals when they needed to work with me for the rent.

Painting the house, remodeling the kitchen was good for me as long as they did the work and I would pay for the supplies on a cost basis.

I got out of rentals because I retired. No danged reason to have that hassle anymore.

Latest posts

Top Bottom