Best light weight pistol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
+1 ... little auto pistol's slides like Keltec can be hard to rack.

is there a reason why a .38 revolver would not work?
S&W 642 and Ruger LCR would fit the bill nicely

Can she rack the slide?
That should be the first question!
Procede from there.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
+1 ... little auto pistol's slides like Keltec can be hard to rack.

is there a reason why a .38 revolver would not work?
S&W 642 and Ruger LCR would fit the bill nicely

I agree with CY - don't rule out the .38 spl revolvers like the S&W 442/642, Taurus makes some nice ones, Ruger makes the LCR, and their are lots of used S&W J-frame older models that are cheap and reliable. Also, consider that revolvers will go bang every time the trigger is pulled even if the BG has closed and the barrel is pressed against him (which is more likely to happen with a woman) unlike with some semi autos.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on a light weight pistol. I am looking for something in a 9 mil that is light enough for my wife to handle. I want to stay in the 300 price range which I know is tuff. Any recommendations?

You've gotten alot of good answers to your question, but the big one isn't asked or answered, are you, and you should take her with you to the LGS preferably one with an indoor range, and let her shoot and decide. Its for her and not you, thats not meant in a mean way, but you know when momma ain't happy no one is! She needs to handle, an shoot as many as possible to see what fits her.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
already did. kahr cw9, i've got 3 of them i paid $300 each for 2 of them off this board and traded into the third i have $350 in it but it has 4 mags. i also have a ruger lc9 i paid $325 for off of armslist all of which are better guns than keltecs and yes i've owned and shot keltecs

I have not looked at the LC9, but I like the LCR. I have thought about selling my Keltec to buy a LCR.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You've gotten alot of good answers to your question, but the big one isn't asked or answered, are you, and you should take her with you to the LGS preferably one with an indoor range, and let her shoot and decide. Its for her and not you, thats not meant in a mean way, but you know when momma ain't happy no one is! She needs to handle, an shoot as many as possible to see what fits her.

Yep, this is good stuff. And I also am a proponent of the J-Frame revolvers...simple, reliable and easy to use.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've spent thousands of dollars over the years trying to get my wife to carry a gun i think she needs,she keeps going back to her beretta tomcat 32. it's easy for her to operate and the recoil is light and she is deadly accurate with it. let her pick then leave her alone about her choice any gun is better than no gun.

i just about turned my wife off to guns til i finally learned that lesson

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've spent thousands of dollars over the years trying to get my wife to carry a gun i think she needs,she keeps going back to her beretta tomcat 32. it's easy for her to operate and the recoil is light and she is deadly accurate with it. let her pick then leave her alone about her choice any gun is better than no gun.

i just about turned my wife off to guns til i finally learned that lesson

I place myself as lucky. When we got married she came with all her guns as she likes to shoot, an supports my habit, every so often claiming guns I've bought as her's. I have little issue with this, an consider myself very fortunate.
You should have seen the looks on peoples faces at our reception, the gifts we gave each other were firearms, and ammunition.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You want a lightweight 9mm pistol with no recoil, must have night sights, laser grips, accept 15 round single stack magazines, and be made of unobtainium. Even if you upped your budget to $3,000 you aren't finding one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom