Best Tasting Duck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justin_h635

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Duck sadly have been lumped into the "all taste like crap category" over the years. I don't know if former generations didn't know how to prepare them or if barnyard ducks tasted like liver? Ducks are very very good and most people who claim they suck have never tried them. Do what Okie said above with Teal, Mallard and Widgeon being the best for my pallate. Don't shoot the divers. The man responsible for my entry into duck hunting told me a rule of thumb he learned while living in LA. "Don't shoot those cause if a cajun won't eat em', ain't nobody going to eat em".

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Honestly they all taste the same. You cook them properly and you won't know one from the next. I could set mallard next to coot on a table and you wouldn't know the difference. Yes I have eaten coots before. They taste fine, but their is so little meat on them its hardly worth the effort!

Garand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Honestly they all taste the same. You cook them properly and you won't know one from the next. I could set mallard next to coot on a table and you wouldn't know the difference. Yes I have eaten coots before. They taste fine, but their is so little meat on them its hardly worth the effort!

Care to share the family recipe?

rw1341

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks All! Ad I have to agree with the "not over cooking" them. Dove is the same way for me. I like it no matter what, but it always tasted a little better if it wasn't overly cooked.

WillR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haven't eaten anything with duck except gumbo in ten years. Cut one open with a nice case of "rice breast" and it kinda soured my appetite.

ahlosojoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ducks are like pizza...they are all good but some are better than others.

Fillet the breast off...slice into strips like steak fingers...dredge in flour...fry just enough to brown.

Here is the rule at my house: "If it hops, flops, or flies...it fries."

Latest posts

Top Bottom