Binocular Suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a pair of crap binocs for years, while my buddy sat in the passenger seat with his Steiner's. Made fun of him for years. Then I broke down and got a pair of Steiner Predator series. Gezzz, talk about making a difference. I'll never skimp on optics again. Especially as uh, "we mature", it makes a difference to have a set of good optics when your natural eyes aren't quite what they were in your younger days. Steiner makes a bunch of compact models that may fit your needs of wanting them small.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's all relative to where you will be hunting. I hunt out west way to much to tote around smaller binos. I went with higher power and slightly larger objective. I have steiner 12x42's. If I was hunting the timber of Eastern Okla, then I would be shooting myself in the foot with these glasses.

As for brand of bino's, it is just like most anything else. You will most likely get what you pay for. I don't know that I would spend much less than roughly $300 on binoculars. Most of the manufactures are making products that are very similar to each other at each price point. So, I would say that it is up to you picking your favorite flavor. Go to Bass Pro and test drive a bunch of them.

whiskeysnoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't go too small. 8x25s are fine as a backup or for keeping in a pack (I always have a pair while duck hunting) but not as your primary binocs. Notice practically all suggestions so far have been 8x42, 10x40, etc? Most are probably roof prism type. Sure, they are going to weigh around 36-38 oz. but buy a good harness like the Crooked Horn harness and you won't regret it. I've gone from $40 to $150 to $300 and am now in Steiner Peregrine XP 10x40. Every time I step up I can't believe the difference. Getting what you pay for is never more true than with optics.

However, I certainly understand budgets. I bought my daughter a pair of Redfield 10x40 for around $175 and was more impressed with them than my $300 pair. Good glass for the money.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Several people have mentioned the Nikon Monarch ATB 8x42. I have a pair myself, and love them. I even had the chance to compare them side-by-side to a pair of German (Swarovski or Leica, I don't recall which) at ten times the price. Was there a difference? Yes, but it was a lot smaller than I expected. A pair of Nikons is hard to beat for under three bills.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a pair of 10x42 zeiss and a pair of American made Burris in 10x40 or 42 and both are excellent. If I where in the market agin I would probably go with either zeiss agin or a pair of vortex or brunton which are a great value for the money someone above mentioned Steiner which are excellent binos. I was looking through a friends meopta 10's a few weeks ago and they are sweet also. Buy once cry once on optics if you use them much at all. The bushnell legend binos get great reviews as well. For me and where I hunt I'll take more size and weight for good clarity and outstanding performance in low light conditions. Go where theirs lots of options and look through a bunch. Good luck.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love the Steiners. They adjust once to your eyes and you don't have to constantly focus them. I use the military/marine 8x30 and they are pretty reasonable, tough and very clear.

Latest posts

Top Bottom