Blockbuster Video In Backruptcy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PUMPKIN

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Family Video are more into the real estate property than the rental industry. They own the land they build on so they are primarily concerned with property value. They don't really have to make all that much money when you don't have a lease to pay. As long as you can pay for the employees and utilities you are all set.

wouldnt it make more sence to sell it as commercial land or lots to say CVS or walgreens instead of build some lame video store that is not going to make it??

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Family Video are more into the real estate property than the rental industry. They own the land they build on so they are primarily concerned with property value. They don't really have to make all that much money when you don't have a lease to pay. As long as you can pay for the employees and utilities you are all set.

That makes no sense to me. They own the land and put up a store with a dying market and have rotational overhead (employees) and now they are 'all set'?

Kingmarine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That makes no sense to me. They own the land and put up a store with a dying market and have rotational overhead (employees) and now they are 'all set'?

Well, guess I could have worded that differently. Basically all I was trying to say is that they are into real estate. They own all the land they put stores on as well as what is usually a small strip mall. So the company is getting paid by the other stores as well. I'm not sure if they will make it, but they did help with the destruction of blockbuster video.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bailed on their sorry business when they came to Ponca several years ago.
Went with my kids to rent a movie. It was $4 for 24 hrs. $6 for a two day.
When I went back after paying for the two day, 26 hours later, they tried to charge me for a late fee. I protested saying it was only 26 hours.....nope, they said it was rented one day and returned late the next.....I threw them against that back wall and walked out, never to return.

GoldenBear

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I went back after paying for the two day, 26 hours later, they tried to charge me for a late fee. I protested saying it was only 26 hours.....nope, they said it was rented one day and returned late the next.....I threw them against that back wall and walked out, never to return.
It's called squeezing all the money they can out of the customer. Now they're wondering where the customer went.

Didya hang on to the receipt that said "2-day rental-return by 10AM XXX date"? They give it to you at checkout (or they did, I left Blockbuster four years ago); of course, most people pitch it in the trash as soon as they get home and put the popcorn in the microwave.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Didya hang on to the receipt that said "2-day rental-return by 10AM XXX date"? .

No I didn't. I expect businesses to act as a business and accomidate the customer, not to double talk them, for the almighty dollar.....

what goes around comes around. See ya Blockbuster:clap3:

My idea of a great business, was a mom and pop appliance store in PC. It didn't matter what part I wanted to fix something, even if it wasn't in their product line, they would go out of their way to find it for me, and charge me a fair price. Evidently they did that to everybody else because they were in business until they decided to retire and reap the benifits of their business.

GeekShot

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure on the family video stores either. I guess there is room for one chain brick and mortar.

Gamefly is the netflix of game rentals. Works just about the same way. Had it for a while but kept spending too much time playing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom