Blue Ray disk rant..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
www.extremetech.com_wp_content_uploads_2011_08_laserdisc_in_hand.jpg

upload.wikimedia.org_wikipedia_commons_8_86_Magnavox_Laserdisc_player.jpg

pen25

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
HD-DVD was the BetaMax of this war.

That said, I bought my Sony BDP-S350 player nearly 7 years ago on or very close to release date. I still don't have a problem playing discs, and I haven't even had it connected to the network for firmware updates in 5 years. I count it as another reason to buy flagship items and not cheap out when it comes to electronics.
Your player had to be updated in one way form or fashion. Without the current keys it won't play the movie. And even that player had issues.

Viper16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Laserdisc looked great back in its day. Betamax had a much better picture than VHS at the time, but I think the short record times caused it to flop. VHS was alright, but everyone tried to jam three or four movies on them and the image quality looked like crap. I own a HD-DVD and a Bluray...of course I own more Bluray movies because of the life of the HD-DVD....but the HD-DVD much like the Betamax had a slightly better picture and at times better sound.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your player had to be updated in one way form or fashion. Without the current keys it won't play the movie. And even that player had issues.

I've never encountered an issue. Firmware version is 07.4.024, which from a quick Google search looks to be at least as old as March 2011.

I probably have around 150 Bluray titles (including some of the so-called "problem" ones), and we rent around 30 per year from Redbox.

20150227_153539.jpg

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Who still uses physical copies of the movies?

You can stream HD video on only 3Mbps, especially if your ISP is kind enough to give you a static route through their network.

Therein lies some of my issues. I still have DVD's of movies because of the streaming issue. Living in an RV, one doesn't always have the better WiFi in RV parks and campgrounds. Also, I prefer the older movies and I have no idea if those are even available on streaming sites.

Oh, and we do have a BlueRay device, but I don't even hook it up because I don't care to be tempted to buy their disks.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Sony players seem to have better compatibility. I suspect that is because they basically wrote the standard and knew what was going to come in the future. The other guys purchase the rights from Sony and it seems that they only put in what they think will be used rather than everything and it then bites us in the rear end later on.

With that said I pretty much only use a PS3 to watch bluray movies, the bad thing is that if you make an archive file on a computer it will not play it completely before cutting out the audio and giving a warning. It's something in the audio track encoding and is meant to prevent copyright infringement which is all fine and good. My six year old Samsung bluray player does not work with modern discs but it does play the archives without a problem which is part of the reason for making them. Also found that the LG smart tv does not have an issue playing the archive files either. Makes me happy as I do not have to get up and go search for a disc, worry about it getting scratched or having to find another remote, etc. The PS3 is for rented movies or something someone else brings over or a brand new movie.

I still prefer to have a physical copy though, sometimes it's nice for going to someone else's house or whatever else. Not to mention that though there are a few places that have the digital versions some are stream only and if you want a copy to take along on a trip it's a pure pain. Plus if I lose my archive due to a drive failure I can just make another, at least till I build out my freeNAS box with ZFS3. And yeah I could download a copy again from one of the services that offer that version but pulling down terrabytes of data will probably have Cox screaming at me. And that is on top of the usual monthly traffic.

Latest posts

Top Bottom