'Boobies' bracelet fight could go to Supreme Court

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The court battle between two girls and their Pennsylvania school over "I (heart) Boobies!" bracelets could be settled by the U.S. Supreme Court.

The Easton Area School District board voted 7-1 Tuesday night to appeal a federal appeals court's decision that rejected its claim the bracelets are lewd and should be banned from school.

The case started in 2010 when two girls, then ages 12 and 13, challenged the school's ban on the bracelets designed to promote breast cancer awareness among young people.

The students, Brianna Hawk and Kayla Martinez, said they merely hoped to promote awareness of the disease at their middle school. They filed suit when they were suspended for defying the ban on their school's Breast Cancer Awareness Day.

In August, the 3rd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals upheld a lower court's decision in favor of the girls, saying also that the district didn't prove the bracelets are disruptive.

Superintendent John Reinhart told The Express-Times of Easton he supports the board's decision.

"The Third Circuit Court has compromised administrators' abilities to intervene in what is and what is not appropriate in school," he said.

In court sessions, Reinhart had called the bracelets "cause-based marketing energized by sexual double-entendres."

An attorney for the American Civil Liberties Union, which helped the girls challenge the rule, said Tuesday night the school had been hinting that it would petition the Supreme Court.

"I'm just really surprised that they're so determined to fight this speech case of all speech cases," said Mary Catherine Roper. "(The bracelets) didn't cause any problems in the school."

For entire article: http://newsok.com/boobies-bracelet-fight-could-go-to-supreme-court/article/feed/610506

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As someone with boobies (albeit somewhat smaller boobies than before, but still boobies just the same) I feel qualified to voice an opinion on this matter. I find these bracelets, the t-shirts, the bumper stickers and all the other attention getting devices as distasteful as I find truck balls.

Yes, you have boobies ... Yes, I know if you don't have boobies then you are the variety of human who is looking to get his hands on some boobies ...

I am so glad I don't have little kids now ... The things I would have to spend my time explaining to them ... :rolleyes2 Not to mention the over-sexualization of our kids ... sigh ... It's too early and I've not had enough coffee and ibuprofen in order to enable me to climb all the way up on my soapbox this morning. Count your blessings ... :P

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BB- You are right, kids are absolutely being over-sexualized, they have been for years.

That said, the real distraction in junior high/middle school is ACTUAL boobies, not a bracelet.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BB- You are right, kids are absolutely being over-sexualized, they have been for years.

That said, the real distraction in junior high/middle school is ACTUAL boobies, not a bracelet.

They should just ban boobies and be done with it. That way people like Been don't get distracted in school.

Ordinary citizens are not responsible enough to properly use boobies and therefore they should be banned at least until college.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think that awareness of breast cancer is great, I think the direction our Country is headed is to Hell in the express lane. The Parents raising children today has dropped the ball. Our youngest is 16 and it amazes and saddens me seeing what kids are wearing and how their acting at his school. I have been blessed with both our Sons(thank God for their Mother) cause God knows I don't deserve them, but it scares the crap out of me thinking what kind of world my Grandchildren will be raised in.

Bluewing

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
maybe they should wear a bracelet that says "save the double-entendres" .!! LOL.
Yes. the morals in our schools/society have been sliding downward at an increasing rate. Our parents probably said the same thing. I still remember the first time i saw a floating Playtex bra on tv. how shocking!
there is no reason to encourage behavior that could lead to worse behavior but the kids at that school probably didn't care one way or the other about those bracelets until the school started taking action.
i say if it can be done in good taste, all health awareness issues should be raised at the earliest possible age that the individual could fully understand. From what my wife saw when she did the substitute teacher thing at
a couple of the local grade shools, the "B" word gets replaced by the "T" word somewhere after 3rd grade, at school, among alot of the kids. and NO that isn't right either. just the way it is alot of places now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom