Bulging Cases?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The "U" die is .0001" undersized, so it sizes the case down smaller. There is also less bevel at the bottom of the die, so it sizes further down on the case, eliminating even more of the bulge.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I was hijacking. My Lee dies didn't seem to have enough thread length to work in the Dillon tool head. I'll ask somewhere else, save this guys thread.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's as far as the Hornady die sizes, the die is touching the shell plate.
I just loaded another 500 rds with brass from the Oil Cap match and not a single bulged case. I think this is even more evidence of some of the major cases making it into my brass stockpile.
I now have a UGW sizer on order, looks like they went from $22 to $29. From what I have read these are actually Lee dies that have been machined to fully size the brass. Now if I could find a Redding comp die to compliment the EGW I'd be all set. :D The redding die looks sweet, but they are pricey.
Thanks for the info guys and GTG for that EGW lead.

Looks to me like the cases weren't resized full length.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this...

The UGW isnt a full pass through is it? Keep in mind, I deal more with .40 brass and use a G-Rx for resizing (which is a full pass through die). The reason I'm asking is that if its a pass through die, and the 9mm is tapered (at least I thought 9mm was tapered) how does it handle it? If its just machined to size further down, I guess it isnt an issue.

Just interested, like I said, been thinking...

... which in my case is dangerous. ;)

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this...

The UGW isnt a full pass through is it? Keep in mind, I deal more with .40 brass and use a G-Rx for resizing (which is a full pass through die). The reason I'm asking is that if its a pass through die, and the 9mm is tapered (at least I thought 9mm was tapered) how does it handle it? If its just machined to size further down, I guess it isnt an issue.

Just interested, like I said, been thinking...

... which in my case is dangerous. ;)

The EGW is not a pass through. Lee has a pass through now, but I have no idea how well it works. The EGW works great though.

RangeHound

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I too have been having this problem more frequently in the .40 and 9mm reloads. My thought was that it was some of the cheaper brass that I was picking up at the range. Thanks for giving an idea on how to correct it. Now have a a set of the EGW U sizing die in 9mm on order.

Latest posts

Top Bottom